Family Day

~Val~

Today was the day I dreaded, it was family day

Today was the day I dreaded, it was family day. Meant to be a day to celebrate and appreciate the family you have, the event was now doubling as a spectacle to prove that VKs could integrate into normal society. Of course, I was made to be a mascot of this change which is why I was currently getting dolled up by Evie and Persephone.

"You need these earrings," Evie said trying to hand me a pair of big black earrings. "No I don't, I'll be fine with these ones," I said putting on the earrings that Harry made me for my birthday. He always got me jewelry for my birthday, despite our living situation. In return, I always drew him a picture and brought him a beignet, his favorite pastry. It was our tradition and I hope to be able to follow it for Harry's birthday next month.

A single tear slid down my cheek as I thought of him. Percy sighed and placed an envelope in front of me. "He wrote you back," she told me as she squeezed my shoulders. I smiled and tucked the letter in my pocket. Now I have something to look forward to. I let Evie and Percy finish with me before we all went to the courtyard.

•••

"What even is this?" Mal asked. "It's really just a family gathering," Percy explained. "Where's the fighting and screaming and crying?" I asked getting various nods of agreement. "That comes in the form of a phone call the next day," she answered, I didn't know if she was joking or not. She sighed and put her arms around the two of us. "Just try," she said. I rolled my eyes and walked down the stairs with the group.

"Val, over here!" Justin called. "I'm good here," I mumbled. Percy turned towards me, "You should go, have fun," She said. "This isn't exactly fun," I told her, "there's cameras everywhere and I don't know what to do." She attempted to grip my hand, but I shook it off. I can't look weak. With Mal and Jay on either side of me we followed Percy down the stone steps, cameras following our every move. When we made it down we were swarmed by people asking questions. My eyes went wide as they shoved their sticks at us. "I'm sorry guys, we're not doing interviews right now," Percy said to the camera people. "Just one question," someone asked. She turned towards us who shook our heads. "I'm sorry, not today," she said.

"I'm sorry about that," Ben apologized as the song finished. I shrugged. "Not your fault," I mumbled. "Oh, there's mom and dad, you should come meet them," he said. I shook my head, "I'm good here," I answered. "What she means is she would love to meet them," Mal said shooting me a look. "Yea," I said flatly. "Great!" Ben said giving Mal a quick kiss.

"Are you sure you want to introduce me to them?" I asked Ben, "I mean, I'm a villain kid." He laughed, "You were like my little sister," he told me, "they missed you just as much as everyone else did." But they don't miss me, they miss the old me. Nevertheless, Ben clasped my hand in his as he led me to where his parents and Graciella were posing. "I don't think this is a good idea," I told him. "Sure it is," he said. "No, you don't understand, this is a bad idea," I restated, "I can't do this I-" "Valentina?" Shit! "Valentina!" The queen cried running up to me. It took everything in me not to flinch as she trapped me in her arms. "Oh sweetheart it's been so long," she cooed. I forced a fake smile on my face. "Yes it has," I said.

•••

After the uncomfortable re introduction Ben made it worse by introducing Mal. It all spiraled once the snooty royals took their frustrations out on us and Evie knocked Chad out. It was just more proof that none of us belonged here. Which is why I'm now sat on a tree branch staring at Harry's letter, the only good thing about today.

Flame,
I wish yu wer heer insted of snoreadon. I hate that dum king n kween 4 takin u awa from me! Uma an Gil miss u 2. Jax also butt she don't admit it. I can't wait 2 see u agin an spenb all day togeter like we did befor. Missin yu deerly,
Hooky.

I laughed as I read his letter. "He still doesn't know how to spell?" Carlos asked. "What's wrong with his spelling?" I asked confused. "I believe there's some letters missing," he said. "Letters?" I questioned, tilting my head just a little bit, "this is a letter." I flung it paper in his face. Mal laughed and shook her head. "No Vally, these are letters," she said pointing to the writing, "like Mom taught us, A, B, C." I shook my head. "That's not what Yzma calls them," I argued. "Yzma doesn't know her arm from her leg," Mal said with an eye roll. I shrugged. Dragon Hall's teachers have always been bad, it's nothing to gasp over. I was gonna express that when Ben came over. "I'm gonna go," I said snatching my letter to my chest. He's the last person I want to see right now.