Chapter 25

Kenzie's POV

Kalani's such a crybaby. I can't believe it. The girl who betrayed Paige and Chloe and drove the Hylands away is my sister? Even I didn't cry when I found out Miss Abby was my mom. And I was in you know... a bad situation. I really don't like Kalani. And now I have to live with her. It's just not fair. Kalani finally comes out of the bathroom where she's been crying for ages. We jump in the car and go home. Mom shows Kalani to her bedroom. We've already eaten, so we all head to bed, except mom, who has a few work things to do. I feel really thirsty, so I tiptoe out of the room without disturbing Kendall. I head downstairs and go to the kitchen. I pick up a glass and just as I'm about to fill it up...

"MACKENZIE FRANCES MILLER! WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT OF BED AT THIS HOUR?" Mom screams. I'm shocked and I drop the glass. I'm sure we woke the whole house up. The glass shatters.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, MACKENZIE?" Mom yells. I shiver. Kalani comes into the kitchen.

"WHY ARE YOU OUT HERE TOO, KALANI? YOU CAN BOTH CLEAN THIS MESS UP!" Mom shouts. We hurry to clean it up and then race back to bed. I haven't seen mom like this since... and she hasn't called me Mackenzie since... Kendall sees me come in and I crawl into her bed. She hugs me tight and promises she'll protect me with all of her life.

"We sorted it out once, we can do it again," Kendall whispers. Mom appears at the door.

"GET OUT OF KENDALL'S BED, MACKENZIE!" she yells. I jump out of the bed and mom slaps me across the face. I gasp and flinch. She kicks me and leaves the room. I jump back into my own bed. I look at Kendall. She shrugs. There was nothing she could have done. It was too quick. I quickly fall asleep so this nightmarish night can end. I wake up to the familiar sound of an airhorn blaring. I jump out of bed. This is real. It's back. Mom kicks me and tells me to get changed and ready for dance. Kendall is nowhere to be seen. I get changed and bump into Kalani on the way down. She asks me if I'm okay. I'm genuinely surprised. I never thought she'd ever care about anyone but herself. I nod and we run down the stairs. We go into the lounge to see mom and Maddie in their old 'thrones.' But Kendall's sitting there in another one. I gape at her.

"Close your mouth, Mackenzie. It's not ladylike. Nobody likes a rude little girl," Kendall instructs. I close my mouth but I'm still shocked.