Chapter 30

Maddie's POV

Mom just finished calling our Dad and after that insult that he threw, I don't know how Mom is going to react. He is a pretty lousy dad. He leaves Mom as a single parent with at least 4 kids, then he steals 2 of them and then insults her? Pretty bad if you ask me. Mom hasn't spoken to us since the phone call, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

"Maddie!" Mom calls from the lounge. I go through to the lounge and see Mom sitting on her special seat. I sit down on mine opposite her.

"What are we gonna do, angel?" she asks. Wait, am I not perfect anymore?

"So, I'm not your perfect little angel anymore?" I ask. Is Kendall her favourite? Does she not love me anymore? I cry, she doesn't think I'm perfect, I'm not her favourite anymore.

"Oh, Maddie. Of course you're my perfect little angel. You're my favourite. You always will be I promise. Don't cry my perfect angel," Mom reassures. I slow my crying to sobs.

"But why am I here?" I ask.

"Right, what are we going to do about Kalani and Mackenzie? And what about Kendall?" she inquires.

"I don't know. You're the parent, you're supposed to know what to do. Do you know? Are they going to be gone forever? What going to happen? Will they call the police? What are we gonna do?" I blurt. I often have panic attacks like this. I have anxiety, but I have to hide that from Mom and Kendall. If Mom found out, I wouldn't be her perfect little angel and Mackenzie and I would swap, and I wouldn't be Mom's favourite and they'd hurt me instead of Mackenzie. No matter what, I can't let that happen.

"My god, Maddie? Are you okay?" Mom asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just worrying about what we're going to do," I reply. She can't know my secret. I'll be a freak like Kalani and Mackenzie. I won't be the favourite.

"If James doesn't bring them back by 4 tomorrow, we'll go over to their house and take them back ourselves," Mom explains.

"And in the meantime?" I inquire.

"We wait and see what James will choose," Mom describes. We call Kendall in and tell her what we're going to do. She agrees with the plan. It feels so weird without Mackenzie and Kalani here. I'm bored out of my mind. I look at Kendall, then Mom.

"Well, we can't exactly just go there now!" she exclaims. I sigh.

"Ok, we'll leave first thing tomorrow," Mom replies. It's late, so Kendall and I head to our bedrooms. I change and get into bed, but I can't sleep. I don't know how long passes but after it seems like a few hours, Kendall opens the door and sneaks into my bedroom.

"Maddie? Are you awake?" she whispers.

"Yeah, I can't sleep," I reply.

"I had a really bad nightmare. No wait. I had two really bad nightmares," Kendall explains.

"What were they about?" I ask.

"One was about how we were at home and then a murderer came in and killed you and Mom and Kalani, but not Mackenzie and me. And then we were alone, and I had to be nice to her," Kendall describes.

"My god, Kendall. That's horrible! And you had to be nice to her? I couldn't even imagine that!" I exclaim. I'm not really like that though. The only reason I hurt Mackenzie and Kalani is because I don't want to disappoint Mom! But I don't know if Kendall is the same, or if she's like Mom and she actually enjoys it.

"Yeah, I know right! And the other one was where Kalani and Mackenzie got kidnapped by James and Jorja and they wouldn't give them back and then it was just you, me and Mom!" Kendall exclaims.

"Kendall, that wasn't a dream. That's real," I explain.

"Wait. What? But..." Kendall stutters. I nod at her.

"But it can't be true! It was so horrible!" Kendall wails. She burst into tears. I want to cry with her, but I'm her older sister! I have to help her; I can't just cry! She doesn't cry when she helps me when I'm crying, so I can't cry. I get out of bed and walk up to her. I pull her over to my bed and sit her down next to me. She puts her head on my shoulder and cries hard.

"It can't be true! Their... their... their gone!" Kendall sobs. She starts full on crying again. If she gets any louder, she'll wake Mom on the top floor! I grab her hand and stroke it. Kendall slowly calms down and slows her crying to sobs. I hear footsteps outside the door. That'll be Mom. She's probably heard crying and came down to see what it was. I edge away from Kendall. We aren't supposed to show affection to each other. That's for the crybaby girls. The door creaks open and Mom's head pops around the side of the door.