Chapter 1: The Beginning

There he was standing outside the door. I had no idea who he was expect for the fact that he was my best friend's older brother.

It was after school that I got the phone call. She asked me if I wanted to hang out and play kickball with the other kids in the neighborhood, I gladly agreed. I ran to the closet and grabbed my raggedy pair of converse and jetted across the street.

When I got outside I saw Leti standing by her very tall tree waiting for me. I ran over to her and asked where everyone was. She said they were getting ready and that we would pick teams soon. As we sat there and waited we slowly saw the other kids coming out of their houses. We finally picked teams and got the show on the road.

I was up next to kick. I was completely fine until I saw him walk outside. My heart started racing and I got really nervous. All I could remember is that I really wanted to impress him; I wanted him to notice me. I couldn't fathom why I felt this way. I had never met this guy in my life yet I wanted all of his attention. The ball came rolling in my path and I kicked it as hard as I could and jetted off to first base then second and on to third. The other team had the ball in hand so I knew if I ran to fourth base I would be out. As I stood there on third base all I could think about was did he see me kick that. Was he watching? Was he even paying attention? I guess at that moment in time all I could do was hope.