Chapter 5: Secretly Dating

It was the end of the summer and it was almost time to start school again. For once in my life I was excited about school. I had made a few friends and I got to start this school year off with a boyfriend. That sounded so weird when I said that to myself. I never thought I would say those words to myself again.  I felt untouchable and in that moment I did not care what anyone thought of me. 

Everyday that I woke up I had one thought on my mind. "Lets get this school crap over with so I can go see my boyfriend."  It was pretty convenient since he was my neigh-boor. I got to see him every day after school. 

He was the one thing that was always on my mind. I wanted to spend every second with him. When I wasn't with him I was thinking about him. I am pretty sure I had a permanent smile on my face Wherever I went.  He made me feel important again. I felt special and wanted when I was around him. 

His family had no idea we were dating. We would hold hands on the couch when Leti would leave the room. Since Jose, Leti and I hung out all summer it didnt seem like anything out of the norm. It was frustrating hiding it from everyone, but we were to nervous to how everyone would react. So we thought it would be simpler to keep it our little secret. 

Little by little it started to be come more apparent to everyone around us that we were "going out."  One weekend when I was hanging out at his house the conversation came up. His mom was moping the floor and we were helping her clean up the house. She looked at Jose and said" You two are dating huh?" We both looked at each other in silence. She did not need a verbal conformation, she just knew. After the awkward silence she tried to get us to admit it. Eventually it came out and the truth was known.