MELODY 20

┏𝚊𝚜 𝚒𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚊 𝚖𝚒𝚛𝚊𝚐𝚎┐

Bryan took the keys to the 'headquarters' from his bag, pushing the key into the door. Courtesy of Adam, practically giving him easy access to the place whenever he wanted as thanks. He paused at the thought, a soft sigh escaping his lips. 

He hadn't talked to Adam since that day and while his best friend had been trying to get in touch with him, Bryan hadn't been ready to face him. At least, not until now. It had been too long since he talked to him, even if it was realistically only been a few days. Deciding he would call Adam later, he turned the doorknob with the key in when he realised-- the door was unlocked.

Pulling the key away, he pushed the door to open before walking inside, noting that the lights were switched on. The carpeted floor absorbed his footsteps, his gaze falling to the table that was usually used as a meeting table in the middle of the room. 

His eyes widened when he realised what he was seeing. 

Adam was talking to Tay. The lead singer of MELODY was sitting on the table, trapping Adam in between his legs, a boot on each side of the pink-haired man's body. Adding onto that, his best friend had a hand wrapped around the singer's shin and the other on his thigh. He stared at them, his breath hitching in his throat when Tay leaned in close to flick Adam's forehead with his finger. His best friend rubbed his forehead, the corner of his eyes crinkling and a smile adorned his face, in a way that made him look brighter. 

Bryan made a soft noise under his breath, alarming his best friend. He snapped his head at the shorter male's direction, tensing. 

And almost as if Brian had caught him doing something unsavoury, Adam had stood up fast. Tay looked up at him before he turned his upper body to look at him, a grin plastered on his face when his eyes met Brian's. Unlike his best friend's face, the singer looked relaxed. Happy, almost. His heart skipped a beat when Adam pushed Tay away from him. 

"Brian," Adam said, his eyes wide.

He nodded, taking in the pale look being tossed at him. He wasn't sure as to why, but he had felt like he had walked into something he shouldn't. Remaining silent, he tried to find the right words to say, but there was no words really that was coming into his mind. 

What was he even supposed to say to that?

"What're you doing here?" Adam asked, clearing his throat when Tay moved to stand next to him, the grin had turned into an amused smile.

Brian opened his mouth before he closed it, unsure of the words. At the end, he settled with, "I wanted... some quiet."

Adam nodded, his gaze almost burning a hole on Bryan's face. When it was clear that neither of them wanted to say anything, Tay cleared his throat, breaking the silence that was settling over them like a thick blanket.

"I'll get going," Tay said, slapping Adam's shoulder before he moved past Brian to grab his bag that had been lying on the floor. "See ya, Adam. Bryan."

Bryan watched as Tay left, the door behind him closing shut.

"He just came by to accompany me," Adam said, catching Bryan's attention.

"Okay." The shorter male didn't know what else to say. He didn't know why he had felt like he had intruded but he didn't think he wanted to know, either. Instead, he settled with a jab into the recording studio. "If you're busy, I can leave."

"No!" Adam's reply shocked him into silence. A loud sigh escaped his lips a second later. "Look, can we talk?"

Bryan nodded. "What about?"

Adam remained quiet just for a moment before he straightened himself. Taking in a deep breath, he said, "I just want to properly apologise in person. I shouldn't have brought you to the bar without telling you why. I just wanted to help you. Figure out what you were feeling."

While he knew Adam had good intentions, it didn't mean he hadn't felt taken aback and blindsided. But he couldn't really be mad at him. Not when he knew Adam never meant to hurt him.  At the end, he smiled at his best friend and took a step towards him. Placing a hand on his arm, the taller male visibly relaxed, his face softening and colour returning on his face.

"I know," Brian said. "I'm sorry I ran out like that. I just needed time to process things."

Adam searched his face. "Can I ask what you're feeling now?"

His smile slipped off from his face as Jackson's face flashed into his mind. He tightened his grip on Adam before he forced his mind to form words. Words that he had been dreading. When Jackson had brought him to the backyard a day ago and sang to him, asked him of his opinion as if his thoughts mattered— he couldn't deny it anymore. With his heart beating miles per minute, he came to the conclusion that he had, like a fool, fallen for a man he shouldn't have.

For a person he shouldn't have.

"I like him," Bryan said, giving Adam a helpless shrug. "Like an idiot. I don't even know him. But I like him."

Adam touched the hand still on his arm, squeezing his fingers. "Hey," he said, catching Bryan's eyes. Giving him an assuring smile, he said, "Your feelings know no reason."

"You speak as if you have experience," Bryan said, trying to joke.

Adam's smile shifted into something... different. Something that tugged at his heart strings. The face he was making was so unlike him that Bryan wondered if he said something he shouldn't have. A theme he was quickly coming to hate.

And a part of him thought he knew why Adam had that smile on his face.

"Who knows," Adam said, "I'm just saying that sometimes, you fall for the most unexpected person and you just have to learn to deal with it."

Bryan remained quiet as he watched the look on his best friend's face slowly fade away, the smile becoming brighter.

As if that look had been nothing but a mirage.

"I guess," Bryan whispered, "you're right."

𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚘𝚏 𝙼𝙴𝙻𝙾𝙳𝚈 𝟸𝟶