MELODY 46

┏ 𝚒 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 ┐

Jackson licked his lips. "What?"

Bryan didn't know how else he could word it. He didn't want to do this now but it was Jackson who wanted to know. Adding onto that, the  scene between him and Cherry was like a bucket of cold water over him. That comfortableness he exhibited with her— they looked... good together.

What if Bryan was never going to be important or--

"I said..." Bryan heart ached in his chest. "Where do I stand in your life right now? Because... I don't know what I am to you now."

"Did Leah say something again?" Jackson took a small step towards him. 

Honesty had always worked before, hadn't it? And he didn't spare the honesty now.

"You said you don't care what your family will say or what other people will say," he said. "Well, that's fine and all, but those things going to matter one day. And I don't want you to get hurt, Jackson. But I'm not sure where I stand with you at the moment. Leah told me that you come with a lot of pressure put on you. And I want to be able to protect you."

"I come with a lot of pressure put on me?" Jackson furrowed his eyebrows. "I can take care of myself, you know. I don't need a protector. I'm not with you because you'll protect me."

"No, I know," Bryan said, grasping his arm. "I know. But I still want to protect you, Jackson. I care for you, you know. And I know I promised to wait for you. But I'm running out of patience. Especially when you look good with every person who makes you smile like Cherry--"

"She's just a classmate," Jackson said. He grabbed Brian's hand, squeezing his fingers tight. He remained silent for a bit. "You're jealous because you don't know where you stand with me?"

It was a hard pill to swallow and he was ashamed to confess. But he nodded. "I'm sorry. I trust you, but when I see you with another attractive woman who could... it just makes me wonder. And with what Leah said, I want to be the one to protect you and make you happy. I just don't know if it's in the cards for me." Bryan said, nervousness colouring his words.

The taller man took a step towards him and pressed his hands against his face, caressing his cheeks. He sighed, nodding. "Listen here," the guitarist said, forcing their eyes to meet. "I want you, Bryan. I'm... I didn't mean to make you question where you stand. I don't need a protector, but I never had anyone who said they wanted to protect me before."

He grabbed Bryan's hand and placed it on his chest. Bryan's cheeks heated. "You're my number one, Jackson."

He closed his eyes when the guitarist leaned in close and pressed his lips against his forehead, stealing his breath. "You're my number one." 

The confession had him snapping his eyes to stare at him, his breath hitching in his throat. "You really want me?"

The vulnerability in his words had Jackson taking another step towards him before he smiled. So softly. "I do." He then chuckled. Bryan's heart warmed at that, his eyes growing hot. "Just trust me, alright?"

And this time, he didn't hesitate to say, "Always."

Jackson chuckled, his shoulders relaxing. "You're going to watch me perform, right?"

Brian nodded. As if that was a question.

"Then," Jackson said, finally taking his hands away from his face. "Watch me play. And... maybe then you'll understand."