10| I: Where We Draw the Lines

Why is the world so big yet too narrow?

It is a cozy afternoon, the art class finished a few minutes earlier than the usual. As the students leave one by one after uttering their goodbyes, Lisa was left alone sitting by the window staring at her canvas.

The mellow warm breeze the sun is emitting shone by the window glass, spreading across the room and slightly tingling her sensitive skin. She closed her eyes letting herself be comforted by the touch of sun rays. These days have been pretty boring for her, it's the same old shit everyday, she's getting tired of it.

Her stool creaked after she adjusted her sitting position. The smell of dried paint is lingering on her nose but she find it pleasant, it's the smell of accomplishment.

Lisa stared at her canvas and found herself shaking her head in disappointment. What is in her art that people find amazing? She is always praised for her genius works, she's named the "Trumpet of an Angel" and that's the cringiest thing she's ever heard in her life. For her, the painting she presents are all mediocre.

What's funnier to her is that she paints without any symbolism in mind, it's the people around her that loves to put meaning in everything she does and pardon her choice of words, that's stupid for her.

Does art always have to hold a significant meaning?

That's what she always thought. She doesn't like analyzing art, she just likes grasping the rough paint brush, scratching the dried paint off her palette, the scent of freshly opened paint bucket, she just likes the idea.

Lisa grabbed her shoulder length hair and bundled it up with a beige scrunchie, she grabbed a few locks and let it laid loose by the sides of her face. She suddenly felt the need to paint.

Grabbing few paints, she first squeezed primary colors on her palette, letting herself have the liberty to play with the colors and find the perfect hues for her painting. After being satisfied with her choice of pigments, she started with a light sketch.

The door bursted open, she flinched but then realized who it was. A pair of gentle eyes met with her ambitious one. The guy smiled at her, he raised two cans of sparkling soda, and the transparent plastic bag swinging on his arms indicating he brought a lot of snacks.

"Delivery, ma'am?"
The guy wiggled his eyebrows earning a laugh from her. She pulled a stool near her and patted it, suggesting that he should take a seat.

"You're late, so I won't pay."
She joked back, the momentum from painting slowly vanishing.

"You never pay me anyway."
Jungkook put the can of drink in front of her then proceeded taking out different snacks from the plastic bag.

She was always amazed by how big his appetite is, she also admire his skills of choosing the correct food depending on the mood. He always bring a lot of variation, it's never a miss.

From teokbukki, corndogs, chip 'n dips, he even brought cupped noodles.

"It's getting late, why are you still here?"
Jungkook asked, although for some reason, he subconsciously knows why.

He knew Lisa for quite a long time already. Since middle school started and they were assigned seatmates, they got along pretty well. They were the best partners, best of friends. Something he didn't expected for him to attain because as a kid, he was a loner.

Lisa is the talented kid that is popular for her looks and talent. Although she is not the type to socialize a lot, people from their school admire her for a lot of reasons. He feels honored because Lisa treats him well and different from others, let's just say, he is getting a special treatment from the one and only it girl of the campus.

"I didn't notice the time, and it's still bright outside."

"Silly, of course, it's the summer solstice."
Jungkook pulled his seat closer to observe her canvas.

"Nerd."
Lisa said hinting a tease.

"Says the one who perfects Chemistry."
Jungkook will always be bitter of her acing the exams.

"You're not bad yourself, juggling academics and extracurricular activities."

The guy lifted his arms behind his head, "Yeah, now you should call me master." He said with a cocky grin making Lisa roll her eyes.

"This is why I don't compliment you."
Lisa averted her gaze. She continued munching on her snacks while slowly getting lost in a trance. She's easily distracted by any sort of things.

"What are you painting?"

"I don't know, just did whatever my hands told me to."

Jungkook inched nearer her work, he squinted his eyes in attempt of analyzing her painting. Lisa swatted his face away.

"There's no meaning behind it, give it up, Jeon."

Jungkook grabbed the paint brush from her hand, slightly grazing their skins against each other. They both tried playing it cool and acted nothing happened. He cleared his throat then dipped the paint brush to the red paint.

"Don't ruin my art."
Lisa has a poor humor and he understands that. So he just laughed then ignored her snide remarks.

Jungkook slowly traced her sketch, adding little things here and there. Lisa tilted her head trying to see what Jungkook is doing, no matter what she does, however, the guy's work doesn't make sense to her.

"Doesn't it look like two people to you?"
Jungkook pointed out.

"No it doesn't."

The guy puffed his cheeks in annoyance, "Look closely!"

"Still doesn't."

"Fine whatever, you're blind."
Jungkook continued painting, for a moment, Lisa thought he's just playing around, but she really started seeing figures.

"Now?"

"Kind of. Still doesn't make sense, Kook."

Does it doesn't really makes sense or you just refuse to see what is shown? A part of Lisa's head thought.

"Look at them turning their back on each other but their shadows are trying to grasp one another."
Jungkook smiled timidly, she felt the low beats of drums striking her chest for some reason.

Lisa felt the need to cover her ears not wanting to hear whatever Jungkook is about to say.

"Isn't it lonely?" He put the brush aside and then just stared at the canvas wonder. "We can't have anything unless we lose something."

Maybe that's why Lisa doesn't like putting meaning in everything, especially in her artworks. She's afraid of the truth, she wants to run away from it and engulf herself in cowardice. That's the person she has become.

Her bared feet aren't still ready to cross the lines that they unknowingly drew with a crimson hue of paint and pretentions.

-
supposedly oneshot :P part 2? anyways, strawberry shortcake is discontinued bc the plot is a little similar to the book I'm working on so i decided to just merge my ideas lmao, if you want more of that story check out my book sense 'n sensuous . it's been a while since my last citrine update, i hope to write more prompts. stay safe and ily💜