Chapter 36: Loose Ends

Warning: This chapter is a bit gory.

Recap: (Y/n) learns that Myrrine is going to be executed. Kion makes (Y/n) a deal to let her see Myrrine one last time.

It was the morning of the execution. (Y/n) stared at the wall, thinking of her friend.

She heard the lock to her door click, before a maid walked in. The girl looked down.

"The king has requested that you meet him in his office."

(Y/n) sighed, getting up from the bed. She walked to the door, pausing when she heard the maid's protest.

"He requested that you come bathed and dressed."

(Y/n) was going to decline her offer, but she didn't want to make things harder on the maid.

"Okay," (Y/n) said. "But I can do it myself."

————————————————————————

(Y/n) washed herself off, and put on the clothes they had given her. There was a luxurious silk dress, that came to the floor. It hugged her body perfectly. (Y/n) didn't want to think about how they knew her size.

As soon as she left the bathroom a guard brought her to Ellis' office. The guard held the door open, motioning for her to go in. She did. The door shut behind her, and Ellis looked up from his desk. He greeted her with a faint smile. He looked over her clothing, admiring her appearance.

"Ah (Y/n), I'm glad you could come."

"It's not like I had a choice."

Ellis blinked, seemingly taken aback by her answer. But his face quickly returned to his signature coldness.

"Take a seat," he said.

(Y/n) walked over to the other side of his desk, where a small chair rested. She sunk down into the cushion, suddenly feeling small. She looked around the room, her eyes landing on his desk. A pile of papers covered the wooden surface, and a half empty glass--which looked like whiskey--sat to the side. Ellis' eyes followed hers, to the forgotten drink.

"Would you like some?" he asked in an attempt to ease the tension.

(Y/n) ignored his question. "Why am I here?"

Ellis looked away from her, picking up his glass. He swirled the liquid, then set it back down. (Y/n) flinched at the sound.

"Myrrine will be executed today," he finally said. His dark eyes looked across her face, gauging for a reaction, but he found none. (Y/n)'s face was neutral.

Ellis sighed, taking off his glasses. He placed them on top of a pile of paperwork.

"Of course, the prince's and I will be attending, but you can stay in the castle. I wouldn't want you to have to witness that."

(Y/n)'s response was immediate. "No, I'm going. I won't let my friend die alone, surrounded by strangers."

Ellis looked at her with an expression she didn't quite understand.

"Alright, then it's decided."

-------------------------------------------------------

After her meeting with Ellis, (Y/n) was escorted back to her room. The door was locked behind her. Of course it was.

(Y/n) plopped onto the bed, and she heard a knock on her door.

"(Y/n) are you okay? Can I come in?" The voice was Leo's. However he didn't wait for a response before coming in.