Chapter Five-Alpha

Hello, Lovelies, 

I hope everyone is safe and healthy.  Thank you so much for reading Grimm Protector and also, thank you for your patience.  I truly appreciate every single one of you.  I am back.  My schedule is on my profile for each of my books.  The only difference is I will be releasing at night instead of morning.  If that changes, I'll let you know.  

News: I am in the final stages of editing for Sparked.  It will be entered into The Wattys 2020.  To everyone else who is entering: Good luck! 

I hope you enjoy this chapter.  If you do, please consider voting or commenting.  I like to know if I'm on the right track and I really love to hear from you.  

-XXXX Amanda

**********

I led Coralee to my room thankful that a house mouse had cleaned it before we arrived. I don't know why it mattered but I wanted Coralee comfortable while she was here. She shifted, her blue eyes moving over the room before settling on the single bed.

"You'll take the bed," I said, raising my brow as I sat on the couch I had set up by the window, "I'll sleep here."

She stood in the middle of the room, glancing around, her voice a whisper, "Okay," she said twisting her hands in front of her. My eyes caught on the motion and I frowned. It was something Damara used to do when nervous. It had taken years to break her from the habit. I couldn't help but wonder how long it would be before Coralee would be able to stop.

"No one will hurt you here," I said, causing her head to snap toward me, the darkness there caused my stomach to clench. What horrors had her father put her through? I knew he killed her mother but I also wondered what he had done to her.

She glanced at the closed door, "N-Not even him?"

"John?" I asked, smirking when she nodded, "Darlin' he will protect you with his life. Just make sure to tell him the truth when he asks you a question."

She chewed her bottom lip and shifted, "He seems-"

"Scary?" I asked, chuckling, "Get to know him. You'll see he's actually like a father to the group."

She winced when I said father. I took a deep breath as rage moved through me but I knew if I showed her that anger it would scare her. "Trust me." I took another deep breath. "I know you barely know me but I need for you to trust me. I need for you to believe that I won't let anyone hurt you."

Her lip trembled as she struggled with something I knew far too well as the abuses in my past moved to the forefront of my mind. I didn't know how to explain to her that I understood but I did, more than she knew. For now, I had to make sure she knew she was safe and then, maybe she wouldn't tremble more than smile. Maybe then, fear wouldn't rule her life.

**********

A knock at the door caused Coralee to jump. I gave her what I hoped was a calming smile and put my hands out to let her know everything was still safe.

"It's my sister, Damara," I said, softly, keeping my eyes on her until she relaxed, "The ladies of the club gathered some clothes for you."

"O-Oh," she said, relaxing onto the bed where she had been sitting before Damara's arrival.

I moved to the door and opened it, finding Damara with her brow raised over grey eyes. She tucked her long, wavy, red hair behind her ear.