Chapter 17

Mare

Mare

Control your anger, it's only one letter away from danger

Chapter Music: Betrayal Comes From Friends

The dress is beautiful, although even I can see the age of it. The yellow, once so bright, has faded after years of being locked up in the coastal palace of Ocean Bay. I had been there only once and I had seen so many things from the old reign of Queen Coraine in my short time there. It was clear that was her vault, the last vestige of her to be remembered by. Still, the dress is beautiful. 

Julian should be arriving soon, although he has no idea why he's been summoned. The portraitist paints Evangeline's official portrait on the other side of the room. Before her, Wren sat stiffly in that chair. Posing for her own painting that will be hung in the Hall of the Monarchs, a hallway of all the past rulers and their council. 

Wren smiled in hers, but Evangeline glares at the portraitist. Her uniform glitters bitterly in the light. She's almost done, although the painter captured her in a more severe tone than he did Wren. Probably because she looks terrifying with her uniform that looks like liquid meta clinging to her form. Soon it will be my turn to sit in the chair, unmoving and unbreathing. Sounds so fun.

"Cori?" I turn towards the way the name came, finding Julian. He's wearing the new robes I requested him to wear today. They suit him, but it's strange to see him out of his faded colors. 

When he sees my face he startles, looking as if he's seen a ghost. "I'm sorry, Mare. Its just…that's Coraine's gown and you had your face turned away-- I just thought that… that I was dreaming." I smile towards him. He thought he saw a ghost. 

"I thought of a new tradition," I say, reaching out for his arm, "that the monarch must wear the colors of her Queen's Aid's house to show their support for them."

"And have a portrait made with them?" He eyes the portraitist with Evangeline. "You hate portraits."

"I do. They never show the truth, just lies," Never the cracks that form in our face, or the bruises of fatigue. They only show what we want to be seen, but sometimes to be seen perfect is what your enemies need, "But, I see their usefulness. History will never forget you if you are painted."

"Cori used to say that it would make you immortalised in time forever. She would approve of the dress you chose, it was one of her favorites," he smiles briefly before looking over at Evangeline walking our way, "Will you be getting your official portrait as Queen done in yellow?"

"Of course not," Evangeline answers, "She will change to her official colors and then sit through another one of those tortures." She scoffs, rolling her shoulders back to shake away the stiffness that settled in them.