happier -ch.9

We only had a few more days left and honestly, after today I'm ready to go back to Austin. This trip has made me realize how grateful I am for my dad getting me out of New York. Country roads really are for me. 

      We walked in and Hazel came running " DADDY... PAPI!"

I hugged and picked her up, holding her tight  " uhhhh there's my girl!" 

Carlos smiled " did you have fun with grandma!" 

She smiled " yeah"

Carlos looked at her " hey let's go to the park"

She wiggled out of my arms as I set her down " yay park"

We got to the park and everyone looked the same. Carlos pushed Hazel on the swings and my mom and I sat on the bench nearby. 

She looked at me " you ok?

I looked at her " what?! no, I'm good!"

She looked at me " son I may not see you a lot these days.. but your still my boy and I know when you're upset..."

I looked at her " ok.... when Carlos and I went to lunch we ran into Alex..."

She looked at me " Alex... Alex!?" 

I looked at her " how many Alex's do you know...?"

she looked at me " just asking honey... well are you ok...?" 

I looked at her " I... I don't know. Obviously I don't care about him but we're in New York it's not this small country town... why did we have to run into him."

She looked at me  " I don't know honey... did you tell Carlos about him"

I looked at her " of course.... mom.  Carlos and I we don't keep secrets. It's not good for my sobriety..."

She looked at me " I know Alex was part of your relaspse and all the pain you went through.... but your good now"

I looked at her " I couldn't be happier!"