Chapter 39

Andrew stood outside of Kate's parents' Santa Monica home, nervously shuffling his feet with his hands shoved in his pockets. It was about 11 am on a Saturday morning, and Andrew knew very well that Kate was at the hospital at work all day. He knocked nervously on the door, and Michael answered, a gigantic grin pulling across the older man's face when he laid eyes on the red head standing at the door.

"Andrew! Hello son, what's going on? Are you alright? Kate's at the hospital," he said warmly, and Andrew nodded, flashing a small grin. "I know, I... Sorry I didn't call in advance, but I was sort of hoping I could talk to you," he said softly, and Michael tilted his head a little, ushering him inside. "Well, sure, of course Andrew, come on in," Kate's dad said with a small smile. "Anne and Lila are out in the backyard swimming," he said, and Andrew smiled. "Well, I actually want to go talk to Lila a little bit too, but first maybe we could just chat alone," Andrew said softly, and Michael nodded, leading the younger man into his office in the back of the house.

Michael sat down in one of the armchairs in his massive study, gesturing for Andrew to sit in the other. He smiled a little, looking at his daughter's ginger-haired boyfriend curiously, and Andrew took a deep breath. "So what's going on Andrew? Busy with work, I'm guessing?" Michael asked kindly, and Andrew nodded. "Yeah, busy with work, but... it hasn't been too bad lately. I've been trying not to get consumed with work like I have in the past," he answered, and Michael shook his head. "I know the feeling Andrew. I have the tendency to get too caught up in work too, and it's not the way to live," Kate's father said quietly, and Andrew nodded. "Yeah, well, I've definitely gotten better with that since Kate came into my life," he told Michael earnestly, and her father nodded approvingly.

"So um... Michael... thanks for chatting today. I wanted to talk to you because... well, Kate and I have been together for about a year now and... well, gosh, I...I guess you know how hesitant she was when we first started seeing each other..." he trailed off a little, and Michael smiled slightly. "Well, Kate definitely had some walls up when you met her," Michael said, sighing a little, and Andrew nodded. "Yeah, I know. And I worked really hard to kind of break them down a little, and..." he looked straight into Michael's eyes, trying to show him how genuine he was.

"Well, I... um, I love Kate very much. And I love Lila too. And I know Kate hates to have anyone help her or take care of her or... well, anything really. But from the first minute I met her, I knew she was special. And I knew she was, like, the one for me, you know?" he said softly, and he breathed heavily as he saw Kate's dad smiling at him warmly, and it instantly calmed him. "I know Kate is her own person, and she certainly doesn't need anyone. But... I love her, and I... well, I want to marry her. And I want her and Lila to move in with me. So I wanted to ask for your blessing to propose to Kate," Andrew said nervously, and Michael grinned.

"Well, Andrew, I... I certainly am pleased," her dad said kindly, and Andrew breathed a sigh of relief. "Kate is fiercely independent, and she certainly doesn't need my permission, but... I feel like I've gotten to know you pretty well over the last year Andrew. And you are one of the kindest, most trustworthy people I've ever met. My daughter has had a tough time, and you know this Andrew, but... she's had more than her fair share of heartache in her 27 years. I just wanted her to find someone who was her equal, someone who sees how special she is. There's nothing that would make me happier than to see her marry someone like you. So while you guys don't need it, you definitely have my blessing," he said, extending his hand for Andrew to shake, and the red head grinned broadly.

"There's just one more thing, Andrew," Michael said softly, and Andrew looked up at him, eyebrows raised. "What's that?" he asked, and Kate's dad sighed. "Andrew, I know you love Lila. From the minute Kate let you be involved with her it's been obvious to Anne and me that you've embraced her. Lila deserves to be loved unconditionally, and it hurts my heart every day to think of the pain she'll have to go through when she eventually realizes that her father... well, you know, that he isn't going to be in her life." Michael paused, looking at Andrew with a pained expression, and Andrew grimaced a little, feeling his heart ache at the thought as well. "I don't know what Kate's plans are when it comes to talking to Lila about that. And I don't know what her plans are in terms of how you'll fit in with Lila. I know she wants you and Lila to be close, but I don't know if she wants you to be Lila's dad. That's up to you guys, I suppose. But whatever you decide to be to Lila, please just promise me that... well, that you'll help her navigate the heart ache that she's going to face."