Chapter 42

6 months later...

"I'm home guys!" Kate called out from the front door of the beach cottage on a quiet street in Santa Monica. Clad in her green hospital scrubs, hair pulled into a messy bun, she dropped her purse on the front table and looked around, eyes squinted as she didn't hear anything. It was about 6 pm, and she wondered where everyone was. She made her way through the bright living room, breathing in the smell of charcoal, and she tilted her head a bit. She walked into the kitchen, grabbing a Le Croix out of the fridge and glanced out the window of the adorably landscaped backyard, a grin immediately pulling over her entire delicate face as she took in the scene.

She poked her head out the sliding glass door, spotting Andrew grilling steaks on his barbecue pit while Lila practiced kicking around her soccer ball in the net Andrew had bought her and put in the yard. Neither noticed Kate walking out, and she stood quietly by and observed as Andrew would occasionally turn his attention away from the grill to yell out words of encouragement to the tiny golden-haired girl as she practiced kicks. "That's it, Lou! Strike! Don't hold back, extend through your leg!" The little girl giggled a bit, turning to him with a gigantic grin. "I think I'm getting better Andrew!" she cheered, and he grinned. "You definitely are Lila. You just gotta keep at it, practice as much as you can. Nothing good ever comes from taking it easy, right?" he encouraged, and Lila nodded, running up to the grill to give the red-head a fist bump.

Kate smiled to herself a little, arms crossed as she leaned against the glass door, and then she decided to let them know she was there, clearing her throat a bit. "Well, well, well, my two favorite people," she said softly, and they both turned around. "Mommy!!!" Lila yelled, running up to her mom and hugging her around her waist. "Yay, you're home!" Kate smiled, dipping down to kiss her little girl on the forehead, and the little girl giggled. "You always make me feel so welcome, Lila," she said sweetly, and Lila grinned broadly.

"Hey, what about me?" Andrew asked, feigning hurt feelings, and Kate giggled, rolling her eyes playfully. "You make me feel welcome too, chef," she teased, walking closer to him and wrapping her arms around his waist from behind as he stood at the grill. "Hi baby," she said softly, and Andrew grinned. "Hey Doc, how was your day?" he asked, flashing her his boyish grin. "Oh, it was alright. Last day of work for ten days, so it was of course super busy," she said quietly. Andrew nodded, turning over his shoulder to kiss her sweetly on her cheek. "That's always how it is. I'm glad you're off for a while, though. We've got a ton going on so now you focus," he said softly and Kate nodded. "I'm focused, believe me," she said, watching as Lila ran over to the net to resume her practicing. "It's all I've been able to focus on," she added, and Andrew grinned.

"Me too, future Mrs. Siwicki," he teased, and Kate blushed.

It had been six months since Andrew had proposed, and the two had planned a small wedding on the beach in Santa Monica, followed by a gathering at Kate's parents' sprawling Santa Monica home. It was just going to be family and close friends, with Shane officiating the big day and Lila serving as the flower girl. It was a Wednesday, and the wedding was set for Saturday. Neither Kate nor Andrew had been up for a big wedding, as Kate was so busy with year two of her residency and Andrew was eager to make his new family official.

Kate's parents were supportive of whatever their independent daughter wanted, and they'd gratefully opened up their home for the big day. Though a blowout black tie affair wasn't in either Kate or Andrew's plans, there was one traditional wedding event that Kate's parents had insisted on. They'd given the two the money they'd saved for a wedding for Kate and insisted that the couple use some of it for a real honeymoon, and they'd volunteered to keep Lila for a week while Kate and Andrew went away together. Kate was so excited to get away with her man, and Andrew was literally counting down to the time he could spend soaking up time just lazily hanging with his girl. After careful planning, the two had decided on a trip to St. Lucia, and they were headed to a secluded resort on the Sunday after the wedding.