Prologue: How It Began

When Gina and Matt's mom told them that in two weeks they would be moving across the globe to Nigeria, a country in Africa and her homeland, they'd straight up laughed in her face.

When she didn't laugh along with them, they'd realised that they were screwed.

Gina's first thought had been what she was going to tell her two best friends, Chloe and Madison. The three of them were supposed to start High School together!

The decision to move had been out of the blue and biracial Gina couldn't imagine living anywhere else than in Oklahoma, not to talk of moving to a totally different continent!

Gina and her brother had been born in Oklahoma City. It was their home. They were Americans! And they knew next to nothing about their mom's birth country, Nigeria.

Things had been weird since her mom and white dad had gotten divorced the year before. They only got to see him on the weekends, a dramatic change from seeing him every single day.

And now their mom was dropping this bomb on them.

Matt had stormed out of the house and hadn't come back till past midnight and Gina had broken into sobs and called her best friends over.

She'd felt like her life was practically over. In those heavy moments, she was so sure that she'd never be happy again.

Especially since she had been about to start High School, not Senior Secondary. There was a huge difference, she could tell that much from the way her mom had described her own Secondary School experience.

Her and her best friends had prepared for High School. They'd gone shopping, they'd spent all those nights watching high school rom-coms and reading so many teen fictions. They'd been so excited to start High School together!

And now she was moving far away to another continent.

Chloe and Madison had found Gina, on the floor at the foot of her bed, staring off into space. The tears long since dried.

She'd told them the news and they'd taken it fairly well, so calmly and maturely that she'd wanted to cry again. Where would she find awesome friends like these?

They spent her last two weeks helping her to pack and having fun. Cherishing each moment as if they were her last and looking back now, Gina realised that they'd been acting like it was the end of the world.

They were oh-so-clueless. It was just the exact opposite.

...

After saying their last goodbyes and promising to call all the people who'd come to see them off, Gina, Matt and her mom got into the cab headed for the airport.

They'd met their dad there. He'd been waiting for them, his clothes rumpled and his face solemn. Gina's heart swelled as she hugged him, he'd let them go without much of a fight almost like he'd expected them to decide to stay.

As the plane sped down the runway, Gina pressed her face against the window.

She'll be back.

...

A/N:
I'm back people!!!!!!!!!! Shout out to my bae -amyhlee-
Don't forget to vote!!!!!❤️