7| Video Calls and Cute Freshmen

Gina ducked into her room and shut the door quickly. She did not want to be the one to tell her mom what happened.

Leaning against her door, she slid to the floor trying hard to guess her mom's reaction. Her mom was unpredictable so her attempts at foreseeing the possible future was useless. She tugged nervously at the hems of her navy blue shorts.

Matt's the mature one, he'd handle it better than I ever can, Gina told herself. She heard Matt raise his voice down stairs as he tried to defend himself from Mrs. Michaels enraged mouth.

She casually walked over to her Bluetooth speaker and turned the music up when she heard Matt mention her name.

Camilla Cabello's beautiful voice filled Gina's purple and white room as well as her heart, making her feel a little bit better with every beat of the music.

They say he likes a good time...

"—My, oh, myyy," Gina sang along softly.

He comes alive at midnight,
Every night!

Gina missed her qué when she realised her laptop had come to life with an incoming video call. It was from Madison.

She squealed a bit and clicked the pause button on her speaker.

I'll be right back Camilla!

She walked over to her MacBook Pro, which was lying atop her not-so-tidy desk, and accepted the call with a big grin not expecting to get yelled at by her two best friends.

"Gina! Why haven't you been picking our calls?" They chorused. Chloe and Madison pressed their heads together, allowing Gina to get a clear view of them both through Madison's phone. It felt a bit surreal to see them so clearly in the light of day while her room was illuminated by artificial light.

I should be used to this by now, Gina thought, suppressing a pang of homesickness.

"Oh no! Don't tell us, you replaced us didn't you?" Madison gushed dramatically.

Gina's eyebrows pulled together in confusion. "What? N—!"

"Shhh!" Gina rolled her eyes at her friend. "I said we don't want to hear it. Your day was so amazing you forgot to call us, huh?!"

"Well I—"

"I just said we don't want to hear it!"

"Actually I do..." Chloe started but Madison shushed her, of course.

"Keep shut. Of course, I do too but first we need to scold her!" Madison whispered to Chloe. Loudly. Gina slapped her forehead.

She glanced down at the time displayed at the bottom of her screen and frowned. It was a half hour past eight in Lagos, meaning it was half hour past two in Oklahoma.

Aren't they meant to be in class?

"Oh ok." Chloe whisper-yelled back.

"Good! She doesn't need to know how eager we are to hear about her day." Madison sassed.

"You know I can hear you right?" Gina asked her dramatic friend, casually admiring her manicure and looking for any dirt behind her cuticles.

"No you can't." Madison countered and Gina chuckled in amused disbelief.

"You could have just calmly asked why I wasn't answering your calls and then patiently wait for me to answer."

Chloe and Gina looked at their friend pointedly.

"Okay, whatever," the blonde girl shook her head, obviously embarrassed. "Tell us what happened already!"

"First of all, why aren't y'all in class? It's not yet three o'clock."