Chapter 25

"Ketanëtuwit, puh!" Matanto laughed. "I am here."

Matanto edged close to their daughter and shook his head. "So this is the child who will save you, huh?" He shrugged his shoulders and smirked.

As Mesingw remained mute, Danu grew uneasy. She walked over to Mesingw's side in a sign of solidarity. Why wasn't he saying anything? She wondered.

"Be gone from here, Devil. You are not welcome," Danu commanded.

Matanto bent over and swiped a hand along the boulder at his hip. A patch of poison sumac began to flourish at its base. "You can not cast me out, Goddess."

Danu was scared but concern for her child instigated her forward. "No, but I can try," she said, stepping into his space.

"Tell her, old man," Matanto taunted. "You didn't explain the rules to her." And then as an afterthought added, "Obviously."

Then he sat down on the rock and conjured a wasp from his wrist. Two more came from behind the rock to join him. They buzzed in agitation and looked for something to irritate.

Suddenly, a colony of bats shrieked overhead, the stars now covered with dark clouds. "There must be balance," Mesingw began to explain. Danu turned to him in surprise but listened. "All life must live in harmony, my Lady. Neither too much good nor evil can survive. There-"

"Yes, yes," Matanto said. He stood up to interrupt Mesingw and clapped his hands in manic glee. "Everything must be in balance."  His words mocked them, and he turned to glare at their daughter.

"And that includes her." He pointed to the baby with his bony finger and Danu swiped it away in anger.

She reached out and grabbed her daughter from Mesingw's arms. "What are you talking about?" She asked them both.

"Mesingw," she asked. "What is going on? You said you would protect her. You promised me-"

Matanto giggled and Danu stopped talking. When he was lying on the ground in tears of joy, Danu turned to run with her child. She only got a few feet, however, before Mesingw appeared before her. "She belongs here, my Lady. We can protect her."

Danu was scared and confused. "But he-"

"He can not harm her, Danu. She has inherited human essence from me as a condition of our agreement, but she  is also immortal, like you."

"Ah, ah, ah, Mesingw," Matanto said. He sat up and then stood. "She will be immortal. She's not immortal yet, and until she is, my creatures can kill her. That is the bargain one makes when living in the natural world. No one side can have too great advantage over the other."

Matanto twiddled his fingers as his initial wasp flew between them. "Born part fey, part human, she is a halfling. She has until her 18th human year, or her 200th Fey year, to grow into her immortality."

Mesingw turned to glare at the Devil, but was surprised when he opened his mouth again. "And you, Mesingw! You have given me the ultimate advantage. It really is too easy with you goody goodies," he laughed.

"I-what do you mean?" Mesingw asked. An owl hooted in a pine branch to their left. Though the wise bird added eeriness to the night, the sight of it gave Mesingw hope. He wasn't dreaming but still prayed that that fact didn't matter in this situation. "Be her guardian," he thought silently to the bird who only blinked in response.

"You are a dream traveler and so shall she be."

"And?"

"Annnnd...if she can navigate away from evil through dreams, then my vampires can navigate towards her through dreams, Spirit Guardian," Matanto spat back.

Mesingw had had enough and stepped forward at the threat to his child.
"If one of your bloodsuckers comes near her, they will die with just one bite. Keep them away from her if you know what's good for them."

"Yes, well," the Devil sighed, bored with the tediousness of the conversation. "What you say is true, but remember, until her 18th year, as long as they can resist biting her, she can be killed by my vampires. And I will do all that I can to make sure she suffers, My Lady," he replied before disappearing into the ground before them.

When he was gone, Mesingw stepped forward and took the babe from Danu's arms. "I will protect her, Danu. We will keep her from his grasp and she will claim her rightful place on this Earth."

"See that you do," Danu said. "Or I will return for her."

And in the blink of an eye, Danu was gone as well. Mesingw thanked Ketanëtuwit for his grace and prayed for their protection. 

__________

References:

*Hay, A. (2020). Owls in the Native American Culture. Buffalo Bill Center of the West. Web Search 10 July 2020. Website: https://centerofthewest.org/2018/08/06/owls-native-american-culture/ 

*Scott, D. [referencing two publications; "The Hunter and the Owl" as told in a book written by Adams, R.C. (1905); "Legends of the Delaware Indians", and a publication posted on delawaretribe.org.] (2018). A Place in History: Lenni-Lenape Story has Moral Messages for Holiday Season. Public Spirit Willow Grove Guide; Opinion section. MediaNews Group, Inc. Web Search 10 July 2020. Website: https://www.montgomerynews.com/publicspirit/opinion/a-place-in-history-lenni-lenape-story-has-moral-messages-for-holiday-season/article_4f78bb3c-ea7f-11e8-8d77-c354aa76919b.html