6. Misunderstandings

It'd been a few days since Naruto left on his mission, not that Shikamaru was really keeping track. He had never noticed just how quiet the village seemed to become whenever Naruto left. Shikamaru had just returned from his own mission, it was nothing major, just delivering a few scrolls here and there. As he arrived home he saw his mother outside watering the plants. She turned to him as he neared her.

"Ah, welcome back Shikamaru! You've received more letters, I've placed them on your desk." She waved a hand over to the front door, before placing it on her hip. "And Shikamaru, respond." She glared, lifting the watering can, pointing it at her son.

"Mhm, sure thing." Shikamaru turned away from her, heading inside. He kicked off his shoes then strolled over to his room. As he passed his desk he glanced at the letters before plopping down on his bed. He stared at the beige envelopes for a bit before noticing an obnoxiously bright orange one. 

He stood up and walked to his desk, pushing away a few letters before reaching the one he was looking for. As he picked it up he raised an eyebrow, turning it over in his hands, looking for a name. 

From Naruto, Shikamaru silently read. Naruto?  What does he want? Is he in trouble? No, no if he was he'd contact the Hokage, not me. 

Shikamaru opened the envelope, reaching inside for the letter. He grimaced at Naruto's handwriting, it was nothing but a mess. He began to read,

Yo, Shikamaru! Sorry to write you out of the blue.. I was just thinkin', would you wanna spend some time together when I get back? All this traveling is makin' me miss just sitting/ relaxing on the hill together. And I PROMISE I won't push you off the hill again :D. Anyways, let me know, I'll be waiting for your answer~ kiss kiss xoxo and all that .

-Naruto

Shikamaru couldn't help but smile while reading the letter, it was dirty and had weird marks all over it. But, that was just Naruto being Naruto, and Shikamaru wouldn't want it any other way. As he continued staring down at the paper, grin stuck to his face, he didn't notice his mother standing in the doorway. 

Yoshino peered over at him, excited to see the smile placed on his lips. He finally read one! I've got to tell Temari about this. She suppressed a giggle, as she sneaked off to the living room to begin relaying her findings.

As she was writing she had a thought, Oh my! The reason Shikamaru won't reply isn't because he isn't interested, he obviously is by the goofy grin he had on, it's because he's SHY!  She crossed her arms, shutting her eyes as she nodded, agreeing with her thoughts as she imagined all the possible "evidence" that supported her claim. 

Sometimes women have to make the first move with shy guys, Temari, good luck! Yoshino, bit back her tears as she thought of the tough journey ahead of Temari. You can do it! she thought. 

"Yoshino! Are you alright??" Shikaku stared down at his wife, worry mixed with confusion present on his face.  

"I'M FINE! GO TO BED!" 

"I- What? I haven't even eaten dinner yet-" Shikaku started, now just completely confused as to what was going on. 

"Ah! You aren't Shikamaru, I apologize. I'll get started on dinner!" She smiled, placing the unfinished letter into her apron pocket before clasping her hands together as she began walking to the kitchen.  

Shikaku stared at her as she disappeared into the kitchen, What just happened. He shook his head, deciding just to let it go, following his wife. 

The next day Shikamaru set off to mail his reply, a smile still resting on his face as he made his way through the village. After dropping it off, he thought of where to go next. As he looked around at all the villagers doing their daily routines he caught sight of Choji, walking a bit up ahead munching on some potato chips. 

Shikamaru headed over to him, seeing as they both weren't busy, he decided to invite the Akimichi to rest with him. 

"Hey Choji." Shikamaru placed a hand on the others shoulder, causing him to stop. 

"Oh! Hi Shikamaru!" Choji grinned, crumbs all over his face. "What's up?"

"I just got back from the post office and was wondering if you wanted to hang out for a bit."  Shikamaru lazily smiled at his friend. 

Choji thought for a bit before speaking, "Sure! But I need to stop by my house and get some more snacks for our outing." He shook the bag, rustling the few crumbs inside. 

"Alright, let's go." 

The two walked through the village, joking and chatting with one another before reaching the Akimichi compound. 

"What kind of snacks are you craving?" Choji asked, taking off his shoes. 

"I'll just have a bit of what you get." Shikamaru replied, placing his shoes neatly by the door. 

"Is that you Choji?" Choza called from the living room. 

"Yep! I brought Shikamaru too!" Choji stepped into the room, Shikamaru by his side. 

"Ah Shikamaru! How fun, both the Nara men have come to visit!" Choza let out a loud laugh, throwing his head back. 

"Both?" Shikamaru questioned, slightly tilting his head. 

"Shikamaru, what a coincidence." Shikamaru turned around, finding his father behind him. 

"Dad, what are you doing here?" Shikamaru stepped to the side, letting his father through. 

"I was just chatting with Choza about the upcoming meeting between the Hokage and Kazekage." Shikaku answered, taking a seat on the couch. 

"The Kazekage's coming? Why?" Choji spoke up, looking towards his father. 

"They're just reinstating their alliance. Nothing major." Choza grinned at his son, before continuing with his own question, "What are you two up to?" 

"Ah, we came for snacks. Growing boys need to eat." Choji beamed, patting his stomach. "C'mon Shikamaru." 

The two went into the kitchen, Choji handed Shikamaru snacks while he placed them in a bag. 

"So, are you worried about the Kazekage's visit?" Choji questioned, glancing at Shikamaru who stared right back at him.