𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦

FIVE
"AN OPEN BOOK"

-

Julia stood outside the Thomas household. She had just knocked on the door and was waiting for Sam to answer it.

She heard the sound of footsteps by the door, which soon opened, revealing Kristy, who looked like she was getting ready to go on a run.

"Hey, Kristy!" Julia smiled at her, and Kristy gave her a very quick smile, barely noticeable. "Sam, it's for you" she called, and walked away, leaving the door open with Julia standing on the doorstep.

She heard footsteps on the stairs, and soon enough, Sam was by the door, pulling his shoes on.

As soon as he was outside, he smiled at her as he pulled the door shut behind him, "Hey!" he said.

"hey," Julia said, smiling back as they started to walk onto the sidewalk and going in the direction of the town centre and the park.

"is it just me or is Kristy acting strange?" Julia asked, and Sam shrugged, "she's been ignoring me all day," he said, "why?"

"I don't know, she reacted weirdly when I said we were hanging out today and was really sarcastic," she said as they approached a small diner and went inside, finding a booth to sit in.

"I'm sure it's nothing, maybe she just finds it weird that one of her friends is also friends with her brother" he suggested.

Julia nodded, "maybe, but can she really expect for me to not have friends my own age?"

"You have a point, but I am her brother," he said, smiling softly.

"Well I guess she needs to get used to us being friends" Julia shrugged, taking hold of a menu on the table and looking at it.

"Want to just get a milkshake each and share some fries?" Sam suggested, and Julia nodded, "sounds good"

They ordered their things and sat talking for a bit until their milkshakes came over.

"So have you met anyone else yet here?" he asked, and Juli shrugged.

"I guess I have a few mutual friends, but the only people I've spent time with is you and the other girls," she said.

"You say that as if it's a bad thing," Sam said, and Julia quickly began to correct herself, but Sam started to laugh, "Don't worry, I'm only kidding," he said, right as a waitress brought over a large plate of fries for them.

"Wow, these look good," Julia said, and Sam laughed, "I keep forgetting you're new, they have the best food here, that's why so many people hang out here," he said, looking around at the other people in the diner - mainly teenagers with their friends.

"I'll keep that in mind then, I'll definitely have to come here again," she said, biting into a fry.

Sam looked over at Julia, "Okay, so I barely know you, tell me a bit about yourself?" he suggested.

Julia thought for a moment, "Ok well... I'm from Florida, I love reading and writing and umm... that's all I can think of" she said vaguely, "Frankly, I'm an open book. A lot of the time people know more about me than I do"

"Well, I guess it won't be hard to get to know you then," Sam said, and Julia smiled, "I guess not" she said, raising her eyebrows.

Sam looked out of the window, furrowing his brow as he spotted someone. Julia followed where he was looking, and saw Kristy looking back at them.

"Kristy?" Julia said, confused as to why she was there. The two girls made eye contact, and Kristy soon ran away.

"Okay, that was weird" Julia said, sitting back in the seat, and Sam nodded in agreement.

"Anyway, lets just ignore that," Sam said, looking at the empty plate of fries, "shall we pay and go?" he asked.

"Sure" she said.

The two split the bill between them, and they left. They started to walk back in the direction of their own houses.

They stood at the end of Julia's driveway, "It was nice hanging out today" she said, smiling at him.

Sam smiled back, "it was fun" he said.

"Right, see you on Monday to walk to school?" she asked, and he nodded, "see you on Monday"

//