chapter ten.

𝑪 𝑯 𝑨 𝑷 𝑻 𝑬 𝑹 𝑻 𝑬 𝑵
❝ STARGIRL ❞

𝑪 𝑯 𝑨 𝑷 𝑻 𝑬 𝑹  𝑻 𝑬 𝑵❝ STARGIRL ❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  14/04/1912.
"i just want to see you shine,
because i know you are a star, girl."

 I HAD woken up this morning surprisingly with a smile on my face, my thoughts occupied with excitement on what the day had planned for me—why was this surprising you may ask? Because usually, I would wake up and instantly want to go back to sleep...

I HAD woken up this morning surprisingly with a smile on my face, my thoughts occupied with excitement on what the day had planned for me—why was this surprising you may ask? Because usually, I would wake up and instantly want to go back to sleep, not wanting to face what the day would have in store for me.

My mother had come in as I was getting ready for the day and asked if I wanted to have tea with just her in the afternoon, as I had missed breakfast because I slept through it. I had happily agreed, as we hadn't had time just to ourselves at all during this trip. We were always accompanied by Gene, or my father, or other women on the ship. So being able to have some time to ourselves was something refreshing.

I had put my hat on and made sure I looked nice before leaving my bedroom and following my mother out the door, though before I could set foot into the hallway, I felt Gene grab my arm to stop me. And urge me back, I frowned at him, silently questioning what he wanted.

"Can you cover for me again tonight, please?" He had asked.

I shook my head, "No. I can't keep doing this Gene, they're gonna suspect something."

His eyes changed to look at me desperately, "Please, Tabitha, please. I'll owe you."

I pursed my lips together as I looked at him, trying to battle with the thoughts inside my head, he looked genuinely desperate. "What's so important this time around?"

His lips parted and he took in a breath, he looked as if he was trying to figure out if he she reveal it or not. "Because it just is."

I rolled my eyes and without a word, I went to walk away to join my mother who was waiting for me expectantly, watching Gene and I curiously.

But he had quickly grabbed my arm again, clearly not giving up on this, "Okay, fine. It's for this steerage party that Muriel has invited me to," He revealed, and my eyebrows raised at that, "And I really want to go."