chapter fifteen.

𝑪 𝑯 𝑨 𝑷 𝑻 𝑬 𝑹 𝑭 𝑰 𝑭 𝑻 𝑬 𝑬 𝑵
❝ REDAMANCY ❞

𝑪 𝑯 𝑨 𝑷 𝑻 𝑬 𝑹  𝑭 𝑰 𝑭 𝑻 𝑬 𝑬 𝑵❝ REDAMANCY ❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  18/04/1912.
"there'll be no darkness tonight, lady our love will shine.
just put your trust in my heart, and meet me in paradise."

  𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 the third and final day on Carpathia, and I couldn't be more relieved and grateful about it. We were to be arriving in New York sometime tonight, and I was counting down each hour that passed.

But as I stood on the first deck watching the sunset as I waited for Harry to join me, I couldn't help my mind from wandering. This was a regular occurrence that kept happening every time I was by myself. Thoughts of how differently things could have ended played like a movie reel in my mind. On and on. Each ending was different from the last one.

What would have happened if I didn't go down to find Gene? I probably would have gotten on board the lifeboat with my parents, saving me from the nonstop spiralling thoughts that have been plaguing my mind since.

If I hadn't seen the heartbreaking scene of the two daughters being pulled away from their father, then I probably wouldn't have given my seat to the mother and daughter when I was on the lifeboat.

If I had decided to have gone a different way on the decks, then I wouldn't have found the collapsible lifeboat. But the lifeboat wouldn't have mattered if Cal hadn't been on it. Because if he didn't use the child to get on, then I wouldn't have been pulled back onto the vessel after being thrown off of it.

If I swam to the left, then I would have been crushed to death by the falling funnel. But if I swam the other way, then I would have frozen to death.

If Captain Smith hadn't ignored those Iceberg warnings, none of this would have happened.

"May I join you?" A male voice spoke from behind me, causing me to snap away from my thoughts and turned around.

Cal was the owner of the voice, and was stood to the side with an expectant smile on his face. I blinked and nodded my head, "Um—yes, you may," I motioned with my shoulder for him to come to stand with me, and he did so.

He placed his hands on the edge, sighing as he looked at the golden sunset. This was the first time we had talked since we were on the lifeboat together, but it's not like I had done it on purpose. I hadn't been coming up to the decks much, and much preferred to stay indoors where I didn't have to be reminded I was on open waters. But I did come up once a day with Harry for a small stroll to get some fresh air.

Harry and I had been inseparable since we reunited the other day. With this newfound freedom, we haven't had to hide our relationship away, as he was no longer an officer on Titanic and I was no longer a passenger aboard it. Saying that, my parents now knew the extent of Harry and I's relationship. My father was shocked, to say the least, but he wasn't angry or disappointed. He was rather proud that I was with Harry, rather than some low-life rich boy who was after his daddy's money. After all, Harry was considered to be a hero after everybody found out how he had gone back to save more people from the waters.