Chapter Nineteen- Confession

Ultimately I knew that I was going to have to prepare myself for informing Mateo of my current contemplative state, the next time I saw him.

I hadn't expected that to be in the early hours of the next morning, though, when I was dressed in denim shorts and a Spiderwoman t-shirt, but hey, it happened.

"Hi," he said, seeming to shift the weight on his legs, but I wasn't sure if he was nervous or this was just, well, Mateo.

It could have been either one of those options, in truth.

"Come in, Mateo," I said to him, and he followed me into the house.

Margo greeted him once he was there.

"I needed to talk to you today," Mateo told me.

I nodded in agreement.

"Do you need to talk to me too?" he asked.

Another nod.

He raised an eyebrow at me then.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine!" I told him, but then made a mental note to turn down my enthusiasm, just a little.

Mateo just met my gaze with inqusitiveness evident in his eyes.

"You sure?" he asked me.

"Certain," I said.

So, that was a total lie, but I comforted myself in knowing that there weren't really any lies in my life. Just hidden truths.

Hidden truths could only go so long before being revealed, though.

"Oh hey, Mateo. It's good to see you again," Fox said warmly, upon greeting him.

I closed a window, then, as it was becoming a little more chilly inside our house.

"It's good to see you too, Mrs Rodriguez," Mateo replied.

Fox beamed back at him.

"How are you?" she asked him.

Good. Stalling. That was actually what I needed..

It gave me enough time to consider how I was going to say what I needed to say to Mateo, anyway. 

At least, for a fraction of time.

Fox soon announced that she was going to go and get us all snacks, and soon headed away to do so.

In the meantime, Margo joined the two of us again.

"Hey, how y'all doing?" she asked us.

J just gave her a look.

Margo's eyes considerably lit up with amusement.

"I am well, thank you," Mateo answered.

"Yeah. I'm good. Fine. Dandy," I said.

Mateo just raised a dark eyebrow at me, then.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he whispered.

Just considering our friendship and how it may quite possibly hang on by a thread, by the time I tell you how I really feel.

I managed a nod.

At least my rapid heart rate didn't mean that I had entirely short-circuited.

Not yet, at least.

"Okay," Mateo said, then, "Well, do you want to come and hang out for a bit?" he asked.

"Sure," I said, grabbing a hold of my jacket, and then saying goodbye to both of my mothers.