||16|| Oh Look, Emotional Parkour

Kinda have feelings,
Kinda heartless.

Chapter Sixteen"Oh Look, Emotional Parkour"

Chapter Sixteen
"Oh Look, Emotional Parkour"

Scarlett's POV:

A wild recklessness rises in my gut, clawing up my throat and settling under my tongue. The feeling smothers my fear; Natalia isn't weak. She's had her child taken from her, and she's still found strength to smile. But this place isn't kind, and the people are cruel.

We have to stop her punishment.

"Scarlett," Meredith sighs and shakes her head, a mixture of sympathy and resignation in her eyes. "There's no way... not when the gong has sounded."

I bite my lip hard enough for it to bleed, the metallic taste filling my mouth. A small, selfish part of me doesn't want to try. It tells me we have no hope even getting into the same room as Natalia much less freeing her.

But the big part wins out, and I know I have to try. I turn to Alexander and stare up at him. He's got a calm look on his face, like he already knows what I'm going to ask. I ask anyway; "If Meredith can get us a way in, will you come?"

He nods before I even finish the sentence and a burst of relief explodes in my stomach. I'm used to doing things on my own, but now I spend every waking moment with Alexander, doing this without him would feel wrong.

And if things get violent, having Alexander fight for us is better than me burning the entire place to the ground.

"You said you had a way to get us into the punishment area and save Natalia without being punished ourselves," I rush out, stalking to the section's exit with Meredith and Alexander hot on my tail. "Show us."

"Scarlett, you need to slow down and let me lead you," Meredith warns and I grit my teeth, a vein in my neck ticking. We don't have time for a power play when Natalia is minutes, seconds away from getting whipped. Still, I listen and let Meredith walk ahead.

Alexander brushes a hand against my back and I peer at him, watching the understanding flare in his eyes. He knows my struggle – the burning need to get to someone before it's too late. My gut feels he knows what it's like to be late.

Rationally, I know Meredith needs to lead, otherwise there are two inmates roaming free in the halls. This whole ordeal is a threat for Meredith as well; if we're caught, her head is on the chopping block just as much as ours.

My heart doesn't seem to get the memo. All it knows is her friend is in trouble and not getting to her on time means losing her too. Like how I lost my parents without getting the chance to know them; how my new family didn't want me; and how Kylie was taken and I could do nothing to stop it.

I don't plan on losing anyone else today.

As the three of us get to a corner, Alexander throws a hand in front of my chest. I stop right before we collide, resisting the urge to curse and instead keeping my mouth shut. Meredith keeps walking, spine straight and fingers tapping nervously by her sides.