two

mattia : sis, wake up.
me : w-what?

i sit up rubbing my eyes.

tia : it's your birthday!
me : it's my-? it's my birthday!

mattia hugs me and sits next to me on the bed.

tia : happy birthday, bug!

(that's what he calls me)

me : thank you!
tia : get ready. i have stuff planned.
me : okay.

i smile and get out of bed. i put on this outfit

and then i put my hair in a messy bun

i go downstairs and when i get down there all the lights are off.

me : hello?
everyone : SURPRISE

all the sudden people pop out from different places as the lights come back on. it scares me so bad that i fell straight on my ass.

me : oh my god, guys. you scared the shit out of me.

alejandro walks over to me and helps me off the ground.

ale : happy birthday!
me : thank you guys!

i go around and hug everyone. i go over to the living room where all the presents were. i sat down on the couch and opened the first one which was a champion t-shirt and some nike socks from my parents.

the next one was from noah and maiya and it was a necklace that had a little blue butterfly on it.

then i opened alejandro and kairi's which was some champion sweatpants and a champion baseball cap.

(if you can't tell, i'm obsessed with champion. i'm always wearing it.)

then i open mattia's which was a camera. i got super excited because i've been wanting a new camera ever since i dropped my last one. now i can finally vlog with better quality!

the last one i opened was from devyn. she got me a couple sports bras, headbands, and a gift card to starbucks.

i thank everyone then i go upstairs to my room. i'm sitting on my bed scrolling through instagram when devyn walks in.

dev : hey em! how does being 17 feel?
me : it's good. thank you again for the gifts.
dev : of course.

i put down my phone and stare at my hands. devvy sits next to me.

dev : you good, girl?
me : uh yeah i'm fine.
dev : what's wrong?
me : it's just my soulmate hasn't written to me yet.
dev : you know you can write to them first, right?

i look at my arm debating on whether or not to write first and i look back up at dev for a second then back to my arm and back to dev.

i immediately shot my eyes back to my arm because when i looked back down at it the last time, i saw writing.

i basically jumped out of my pants.

me : HOLY SHIT! THEY WROTE TO ME!
dev : NO WAY! congrats! what does it say?
me : um...just hi.
dev : so say hi back!

i grab a pen from my desk and write on my arm "hey."

i wait until they answer and it takes a couple minutes but they finally reply with "how are you?"

avani's pov

it was my birthday today. unfortunately, my mom and dad were working all day so i had no one to talk to. i was just watching outer banks when i get a text from my friend amelie saying that i should write to my soulmate so i do.

i start with "hi" and wait for their reply. i finally get a "hey" and i reply with "how are you?"

there are so many more questions i want to ask them like "who are you?" "what state/city do you live in?" but unfortunately those questions aren't allowed to be asked when your talking to your soulmate. it's against the rules.

i also really want to ask them what gender they are, but i have to keep it simple.

they finally reply with "good, how are you?"

emma's pov

i reply with "good, how are you?" and i wait. they reply with "i'm good.

(rest of conversation : bold-avani, regular-emma)

what have you been up to?
my friends and family threw me a surprise party.
nice!
what did you do?
nothing, my parents have been working all day.
that sucks, i'm sorry.
it's all good. i'm used to it.
i wish we could hang out so i could cheer you up.
that's sweet, but for real, i'm okay.
okay. can we talk later? my friends are still here.
of course. bye!
bye!

i put my pen back and lay back on my bed.

me : they already seem so nice!
dev : good for you girl!

i spend the rest of the day hanging out with my friends in my room.