Chapter 5// His new girl

Today as Chase mentioned to me yesterday that we'll be meeting at the park for today's study group I was actually looking forward to it. It must be fun studying outside of school and I actually had a lot of questions with history class.

Dylan was on his couch watching the Mets game drinking a beer. I've never given thought to what he does for a living. To go deeper I never bothered to ask. Perhaps I have a few minutes to squeeze in. I set my bag down walking in front of the TV.

Dylan squeezes his brows together moving the bottle away from his lips, "I'm watching something."

"This will just be a minute." I start off walking to sit on the single chair on the other side of him. I cross my legs setting my folded hands resting on my knee. When I look back at him he already gave me his full attention. "Okay, so when I'm at school and work what do you do all day? Like do you have a job?" I question waving my right hand around as I spoke.

Dylan sits back on the chair scratching his chin, "I work at an animal shelter. I love dogs though we do get some cats although I mostly stay with the dogs because I'm a dog person. But that doesn't mean I take care of the cats and kittens they're really cute too." He finishes sinking into the chair unmuting the tv.

I nod my head, "wait so how many hours do you work there for and what days?"

The dark-haired man mutes the tv again as he sets the remote down turning his head to me, "why? Trying to sneak behind my back?" Dylan hints raising his eyebrows rubbing his big hands together.

I scoff rolling my eyes, "No dummy I just want to know so I can shower in peace when I come home from work." I announce to him uncrossing my legs to stand.

"All right, I work all week besides the weekends unless I call into work those days for extra cash which I rarely do. And I work from eleven in the morning to nine pm which I actually have to get ready in exactly an hour before traffic hits so you might wanna go before your late." He spoke shutting off the tv before standing. Dylan walks over to where I left my bag on the ground. As he picks it up for me he walks to me standing in front of me a foot between us. "Now go have a good day will ya? And don't worry I won't interrupt your shower again I actually got off work early yesterday so that's why. Now off you go." Dylan pats my shoulder then walks past me probably to the bathroom.

Well, I actually wanna visit him at work one day. I always wanted a pet dog but my parents wouldn't let me have one because my dad was quite allergic to animals. Anyway time to see what this school day will bring me.

---

First period my eyes keep shifting to Becky than the professor. I don't know I just think I saw something on her phone before a text message from a guy whose name began with a D and I can't help but think it was Dylan. I mean she did show she was attracted to him so- but how could they have bumped into each other again? More importantly, why do I care?

Breathing through my nose I glue my eyes to my paper as I copy what my professor wrote on the board. My attention is grabbed again when I hear Becky giggling to herself. I decide to ignore it when our professor calls out Becky for being on her phone and to turn it off. She sighs stuffing it in her purse. Now I can keep my mind in one place for the remainder of the period.

Two hours passed while I started to gather my things. I sat up collecting everything then walked down the steps. Uncalled for I felt my phone vibrating in my pants pocket swinging the other strap of my backpack I fished my phone out of my pocket then noticed it was my boss calling me. I looked around for a quiet spot to chat then I walked to the end of the hall by the corner.

I swiped answer bringing the call to my ear, "Hello, Mr. Mario is everything okay?" I question the other line of the call.

"Yes, though we have a sort of mix up one of our employees left early because he was not feeling well do you think you can fill in for him?" He asked his tone making seem it's urgent.