Love Somebody Else

"Come on, it'll be fun," Daphne said.

"I'm not sure I should go," Astoria said. "I don't think Pansy wants me around."

"You're not in pureblood society, you never made your debut," Daphne said, her voice dropping in volume. "You need to come out, meet some people— or you'll never find a husband."

"A husband?" Astoria's voice rose to a shriek. "You think I want a husband right now?"

"I know you love your romance novels, and if you don't start now, you'll never find one, not one that'll take you with your—" Daphne hesitated, looking for the right euphemism. "Malediction."

"What if I don't want a pureblood husband? What if a muggle-born will take me as I am?" Astoria asked.

"Don't speak of that!" Daphne cried. "Come on, let's just have a nice night with no fighting!"

Astoria considered fighting back, but stopped. "Okay."

"Now sit down, I'll help you look just perfect," Daphne assured her.

The Sky Ballroom was one of the most gorgeous ballrooms Astoria had ever seen. Two of the four walls were open with balconies to lounge upon. The ceiling was painted cerulean and gold, and the furniture nearly perfectly matched.

Parkinson Palace was white marble and gold and ivory, made from all sorts of beautiful things. It was the exact opposite of Malfoy Manor— but neither was the sort of place Astoria wanted to live, she found.

"I didn't know you'd be here, Baby Greengrass."

Astoria turned to see Draco Malfoy, the future groom of all people, coming towards her. She gripped the balcony railing tightly, steadying herself. Her emotions hit her like a tidal wave, drowning her in possibilities. He was beautiful, in every possible way. Physically, and internally, she remembered the possibilities that were waiting there for her, so close she could almost touch.

"Hullo, Draco," Astoria said, struggling to know what to say. She let awkward silence overtake them as he stood next to her— next to her being a solid two feet away. Draco overlooked the garden.

"Congratulations on being married in two days," Astoria offered, trying to sound chipper.

"Yeah," he said. "I suppose it will be alright."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Astoria couldn't help it— the words flew out of her mouth.

Draco glanced over his shoulder. The bride-to-be was busy laughing with her circle of friends and various Parkinson cousins that came for the occasion.

"I never intended on sticking with Pansy," he admitted.

"Why didn't you ever tell her?" Astoria asked. "I'm sure she would've understood— there's no need getting into a marriage the groom doesn't even want."

Draco shook his head. "It's not that easy. Pansy never lets go of what she wants. Bit like a dragon, in that way."

Astoria straightened. "Oh sure, she'd be upset and angry and go on a rampage for a few weeks, but it's better than living for years in mutual misery."

Draco shrugged. "Uncle Rodolphus and Aunt Bellatrix managed just fine."

"I don't think becoming Death Eaters and dying in battle counts as turning out fine," Astoria said.

Draco shrugged again, clearly wanting out of the conversation.

"I'm sorry, it's not my place to tell you these things," Astoria said. "You're a grown man— surely you can consider the consequences of something like marriage. I'm just saying, if you won't be happy, you should talk to Pansy— get it figured out."

Draco looked at her as if seeing her for the first time. "Why do you care about my happiness?"

"I told you a long time ago, I want to be your friend," Astoria said. "Friends look out for one another's happiness."

He nodded, as if coming to a realization. "Thank you, Astoria."

Astoria blinked. "That's the first time you've said my name. Guess I'm not Baby Greengrass anymore."

"Guess not." Draco looked away, out into the gardens for a moment, and took a deep breath. "Things keep changing, don't they?"

"Of course they do," Astoria said with a shrug. "Sometimes change is for the better. Heaven knows I have."

Draco nodded again. He looked to Pansy, across the room. "I have to go, I'm afraid. We should talk some time. . . Astoria."

He then slipped into the shadows without another word.