Coping

Aragorn had left his family behind. He had not pondered that he'd never see them again. But he was able to communicate with them. He told Arwen how much he loved her, and he watched his son grown into a healthy young man. When Aragorn's son took over the throne and took a wife, Arwen sailed to the Undying Lands and joined her husband. Arwen was told of what had occurred in Greenwood, and was saddened. All she could do was be with her friends and husband as they waited, and grieved.

        Gimli had become a great blacksmith in the small village. The Elves loved his swords and the young adult Elves would duel with them often. But no matter how much he was praised, he often thought of the Elvish weapons that were much fairer. He thought of Legolas' knives and how they used to cut through Orcs' necks like butter. Surely he could never recreate such a weapon. He went on making his crafts for the Elves anyway, and they greatly enjoyed them. Gimli believed this was one of the best ways he could honour his friend.

        Gandalf often set off firework displays at the frequent parties in the small village. The Elflings were mesmerized by the colours and shapes the fireworks took on. Gandalf could only think if Legolas when he saw these children. He remembered when Legolas was an Elfling and he watched the old wizard perform tricks and set off fireworks at parties in Greenwood. His eyes would practically burst with joy at all the magic. But that happy little Elfling was gone, and so was the brave Elf that the Elfling had turned out to be. Gandalf was not one to lose all hope, but he was beginning to wonder if they would ever see Legolas again.

        Thranduil was the worst of them all. He often sat in his home and sulked. Or he took a walk through the trees thinking about his son. He didn't laugh anymore, he didn't smile, he didn't partake in any celebrations, and he absolutely refused to talk to anyone about his problems. He sometimes spoke with Aragorn about Legolas, but that was as close as he came.

        Aragorn taught young Elflings sword fighting and helped them learn all sorts of other survival skills. He taught them how to treat certain wounds, should anyone get hurt, and he often took them on camping or hunting trips in the woods. He was great friends with them and treated them as if they were his own children. Arwen often sat nearby with a book or some sewing at watched. Aragorn was so good with Elves. But, then again, he had grown up with them. It wasn't surprising. Aragorn kept the memory of Legolas alive in training with the Elflings. He taught them everything Legolas had taught him, and he felt joy knowing that his friend still lived on in some way.

        All of them missed Legolas, and all of them kept him in their hearts. They remembered him in different ways: a son, a friend, a brother. But none of them lost hope that they would one day see him again. They had eternity. They knew he would join them at some point. It was when that plagued their minds.

***

A/N Like the picture? It's Gandalf's fireworks at Bilbo's birthday party. I figured he'd be setting off the same kind at a festival. Two comments for an update.