Chapter 9: The Chamber is Open

I woke up next to my diary, right where I had passed out. My quill was lying on the page, a puddle of dripped ink under it, and I moved to pick it up, to finish the sentence I was writing to Tom.

My hands though, were covered in what I hoped was red ink. There was a weird, metal smell to the mysterious liquid. It didn't smell like ink.

"Merlin!" Olivia yelled as she crashed into our dorm.

I quickly hid my hands behind me.

"Where were you?" she asked.

"I think that I must have just dozed off. I'll be down for the feast in a minute."

She looked at me in disbelief. "The feast is over, Ginny!" She sounded very panicked, but I thought nothing of it.

"Oh, well how did it go?"

"The feast itself was fine, but when we were walking out of the great hall. There was a sign on the wall... 'The chamber of secrets is open, enemies of the heir beware'. I-" she faltered, like she couldn't push words out of her mouth. "I think Mrs Norris is dead!"

This was distressing, I did hate the cat, but I still didn't want her to die!

"She wasn't moving while she hung next to the message. What if it is a student next time!"

I was in complete shock, my jaw hung open. What was the chamber of secrets? And who was an enemy of the heir?

"Jacob's also in shock." Olivia mentioned. "We thought you might be hurt, I looked for you in here before the feast, but you were gone. We thought you were already down there! Are you sure that you were just sleeping that whole time?"

This shocked me even more. I was only sleeping, right? "I- I probably just sleepwalked or something." But how I felt before 'falling asleep' was still stuck in my mind. "I'll be down in a minute."

Olivia nodded and went back down into the common room.

I hurried to the bathroom once I was sure that the door to our dorm was closed, and I tried to get as much of the liquid off of my hands as I possibly could. While doing this I also tried to convince myself that I had just been sleepwalking.

"Sleepwalking, I've definitely slept walked before, yeah, back at home. Yeah, it was just sleepwalking." I murmured to myself.

When I walked down to the common room, it was packed with people talking about the events of the night. As I made my way over to where Olivia and Jacob were standing, I heard people say so many things.

"Do you think Potter did it?"

"No, he's a gryffindor, he wouldn't hurt anyone."

"I think the message was written in blood, it was dark red."

"No, I heard Dumbledore say that she was just petrified."

"Can she be unpetrified though?"

Harry Potter being accused was one of the most shocking things that was said. How could he do something that bad? He wouldn't attack people.

"Ginny! You're alright!" Jacob yelled as soon as he saw me. "Why didn't you come to the feast?"

"I- I think I just fell asleep." I explained, not quite convinced that it was true.

"Oh. Well, at least you didn't get caught up in this mess."

"Yeah."

~~*~~

Once Olivia finally fell asleep, I started writing to Tom.

"I didn't go to the feast."

"Oh?"
"I think I just fell asleep before it, or that's what I've been telling my friends at least, I don't know if I believe it. I probably was just sleepwalking because Olivia said she checked our dorm and I wasn't here."