Continuation

“Rajkumari (princess) what did you do, why you betrayed us, it wasn’t in your royal blood to betray your people and still you did. Why? ” said that weird lady in a tone which can only come out of a person who would be terribly hurt and by saying all this that lady choked on her voice.
I’m sorry but I think you’ve misunderstood me with someone else. I’m no princess and I didn’t even live here until recently. Nandini said by trying to sound as confident as she could.
“Rajkumari galtiya toh aapne kiya hai jinki maafi nai hai” (princess you have made some mistakes and which can’t be forgiven), said that lady.
Bahu, what are you doing here, a voice came from behind and nandini turned immediately to look towards the direction of the voice and all she can see was a ray of light which was followed by shadow taking shape, it was Nitya.
Bahu what are you doing here so late and why are you sweating so much, Nitya said again. Nandini stammered with her words and pointed her finger in the direction where that lady was standing but to her horror no one was there now. What is there bahu, I can’t see anything, nitya said again.
Nandini was looking everywhere but there was no traces of that weird lady. “Bahu”, nitya shrugged nandini this time. Nandini responded this time, it was like someone woke her from some sort of dream and like she gained consciousness. But nitya was waiting for nandini to answer.
“Nitya I think I saw someone standing there”, Nandini said.
Bahu there is no one, you might be hallucinating or may be you were just missing pralat babu, Nitya said. The thought of her husband brought more horror to Nandini than anything she saw. But nandini thought it was worthless to explain anything to nitya. May be you’re right Nitya, it might be because I’m too tired as it has been a long day, sighed nandini.
Come bahu I’ll drop you to your room, Nitya said in a sleepy voice. Yeah let’s go nitya, said nandini.
Nitya dropped Nandini outside her room and went away.
Nandini was trying to act normal infront of nitya but as soon as she left the horror creeped inside her. All those flashbacks started coming back to her. “what the hell was that, who was that lady and why was she calling me princess” all these questions started running in her mind. It was going to be a long night for Nandini.
She lied down but sleep was miles away and all she could think about was that weird lady. In between twisting and turning the entire night in restlessness she felt asleep.

Nandini…… Nandini…… What is wrong with this girl why she has to sleep so late, Nandini….., Bindiya was calling out Nandini by slamming the door of Nandini’s room continuously.
Let pralat Bhaiya (brother) come then I’ll tell him what a nonsense this girl has been, smirked Bindiya.
I’m sorry I wasn’t supposed to be so late, it’s just because I didn’t get any sleep last night, said Nandini while panting.
“Do I look like I care”, laughed Bindiya.
Nandini’s misery creeped in. She remained silent for rest of the time.
She immediately went into the kitchen after Pooja (prayer).
Nitya was already waiting for her there.
Bahu you woke up late today, I thought you didn’t sleep the entire night, said nitya casually.
Nandini, shouted her mother in law.
Nandini rushed towards her, she didn’t want to upset her after this morning.
Nandini take help from nitya and clean all the closed rooms of the palace along with her and remember it should be clean as new, said her mother in law with no feeling of remorse.
After the breakfast nitya accompanied nandini around the palace and they were cleaning all the rooms one by one. By this time nandini was really tired, and due to humid weather of Bengal she couldn’t stop sweating.
She paused infront of a giant room which had its door locked.
She was staring at the door of that room, it was huge and beautiful.
Despite of the fact that it was an old and rusty door, it still looked exquisite because of its extraordinary carvings.
Nandini was admiring the beauty of the door when she realized there were voices coming from the other side of the room.
“Rajkumari (princess) come inside, we have been waiting for you for quite a long time, come inside Rajkumari why are you standing outside”, these were the whispers which nandini could hear from the other side of the door.
Nitya come this side, Nandini called her.
Nitya came running and took a long sigh before saying, yes bahu what is it and why were you calling me.
Nitya why is this door closed, as I haven't seen any other closed door in the palace, asked nandini with an increasing sense of horror in her voice.
Nitya looked confused for a moment and then after thinking about it for a while she answered, I don't know much about it bahu but as far as I know this door has been closed for decades.
No one has ever known the actual reason to it but there are just speculations,said nitya.

Nandini was feeling sort of hypnotized with that door so she continued asking questions.

Nitya also told Nandini that many people tried to open this door but they never succeeded as if this room doesn't want anyone around it, as if its protecting some sort of legacy.