7. the one where shoupe makes an arrest

We've been canvassing the shipwreck for what seems like an eternity. The sky grows darker and the wind swirls around us. The sea is getting choppy.

John B sighs. "It's not there." He rubs his hands over his face. "Look, just-- just pull the drone up." Thunder rumbles in the distance.

I sigh. "Shit," I say in disappointment.

"Look, we can do another pass, recharge the battery. We can-- we can go back down," Pope says, trying to smooth over the situation.

"We've done it three times. There's nothing there," JJ complains.

"Shut up!" Kie says angrily.

"What? It's true!" JJ says defensively.

"The gold could be buried. We don't know," I say with a shrug.

"If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?" John B sighs again. "Somebody beat us to it."

"Or it was never there," I say as thunder rumbles again.

******************************

"Hey, Lex, can you do me a favor today?" Blaine asks me over breakfast the next morning.

"Sure. What's up?" I ask. I take a sip of coffee.

"I placed an order with Heyward the other day and he was out of stock on a few things. He said it would be in today. Can you pick that stuff up for me? It's cleaning supplies for the maid," he says with a pleading smile.

"Is it a lot? Will it all fit in my backpack?" I ask.

"Oh yeah, definitely. It's just a couple items. You can just leave them on the table in the dining room whenever you come by the house again." He glances at his watch. "All right. Gotta head out. Bye Lex."

"Bye Blaine," I say as he exits. I head back up to my room to shower and get dressed for the day. I take off to Heyward's on foot once I'm ready. It's not a bad walk down to the store, but when I arrive, a formidable presence rattles me. I get a full stare down as I make my way into the store. Pope is sweeping the front entrance as I walk in.

"Dude, why are Topper and Rafe sitting outside?" I ask Pope.

He leans on the broom. "I feel like they know.. you know? The way they've been mean mugging me every time I walk outside. I just feel it. Did they say anything to you?" he asks. His dad gives him a look from behind the register and he goes back to sweeping.

"They didn't say anything, but they gave me a full, hateful stare down as I was walking up. They have to know," I say, agreeing with Pope. I glance back out the door. "We have to tell JJ." Pope nods in agreement, following my gaze. Topper says something to Rafe, and they walk into the parking lot.

"Did they leave?" Pope asks.

I tentatively head back outside and look around. I don't see them in the lot anywhere. I go back to Pope. "I think they're gone." Pope sighs with relief. "We need to talk to JJ, like, now."

"Yeah. Yeah," Pope nods. He looks back at his dad. "I dunno if he'll let me go."

"I got this," I say, approaching Heyward.

"Heyward, my man!" I say enthusiastically. He looks at me and says nothing. "Okay, great. So, um, my uncle Blaine said there were a few things out of stock for his order the other day and they would be ready today. Could I get those items?" I ask.

"Sure. Hold on one second, it's in the back," he says. He turns and heads through the double doors.

"Pope, go! I'll meet you outside!" I say, shoving him towards the door. Pope throws his broom behind the counter and books it out of the store.