13. the one with the big storm

My neck is a little stiff when I wake up the next morning. JJ snores lightly underneath me, his arms still wrapped around me protectively. I shift slightly, turning my head so I can access his neck. I kiss and suck at it lightly to wake him up.

I hear him sigh. "If you're going to wake me up like that, we'll need to sleep together more often," he says in a sleepy voice.

"That could be arranged," I say, kissing his cheek and sitting up. I climb off his lap and stand up. He sits up and pouts for a minute, then joins me as I walk into the other part of the dining room. Kie and Pope are both awake, each staring out the bay window silently. At least they aren't at opposite ends of the restaurant anymore. We join them at the window. The sound of sirens fills the normal quiet of the morning.

"He's pinched for sure, man," JJ says, playing with his lighter.

"No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him," Pope says.

"Let's hope," JJ says with a sigh.

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too," I say, looking around at the others.

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B," Pope says.

"So, find him before they do?" I ask.

"Pope?" Kie asks as Pope takes off across the restaurant.

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat," he tells us.

"Hey, you be careful," Kie tells him as he pushes open the door. He ignores her.

"Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late," JJ says. The three of us follow him out of the restaurant.

"Okay, what is your problem?" Kie asks as she chases him down the steps to JJ's bike.

"No problem, Officer. I'm just doing my job," Pope says, sounding emotionless.

"Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings," Kie is trying to explain, but Pope revs the bike engine.

"What was that?" Pope asks.

"Look, I didn't mean to," Kie says, but Pope drowns her out with the engine again.

"Sorry, I can't hear you. What was that?"

"Pope, I'm being serious--" Kie says as she's interrupted by the engine again. "I'm trying to talk to you!" she yells at him as he speeds away.

As the sound of the bike engine gets more faint, the sound of helicopter blades slicing through the air gets louder. The three of us look to the sky to see a whole fleet of helicopters coming in.

"Who is that?" JJ asks.

"Don't know. But I feel like us standing out here in the open is going to make us find out sooner than we want." I look at JJ and Kie. "Come on, lets get the food ready for John B."

We head back inside the restaurant and start gathering food to put on the boat for John B's escape. Kie brings up Pope's confession last night; stressing over everything that went down.

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asks.

"It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation," Kie replies. "Is that enough food for them?"

"I mean, for a couple of weeks, and that's all they need, so..." JJ shrugs as he piles more food into a box.

"Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings," she says sadly.