Chapter 5

After history Zach showed me to art like he said he would earlier and he even pointed out the music room for me. I got in class to find that Lyssa saved me a seat beside her in the back and it was away from Kim's seat in the front. I quickly got there and sat down relieved Kim missed me coming in.

"Hey did Zach show you here? Oh and do you want to hangout with us after school?" She quickly shots off the questions and it takes a second for me to understand the questions.

"Yeah he did and I can't hangout my mom would be mad. Sorry Lyssa." I say while looking down at our shared table.

"Oh don't worry about it. We can hangout some other time together." She beams at me and quickly grabs me in a hug. I was so shocked by the gesture that I almost didn't hug her back. Art went well and Lyssa chatted off and on about things. I told her about how I like mermaids and reading.

I left class feeling some happiness to share something about me with someone who seems to actually like me. Jay had music with me so I hid in the back of class as we went over what we'll do this year. The last bell rang and I made my way to the parking lot to find the car before they could leave me here. I wave goodbye to Lyssa and Zach on my way out to the car.

I waited for Jay and Kim by the car while trying to stay out of sight of their friends. They get there and we leave for home but there is this air about the car that has me on pins and needles. I watch them glance at each other and me from the mirror, it's then that it clicks that they are planning something. I can't help but think that these twins live for my misery and nothing else. We pull up to the house and suddenly Kim starts sobbing before she bolts from the car and into the house.

I watch in horror as Jay gives a smirk before getting out and heading inside the house. Getting out of the car I can hear Kim's fake sobs from here but there's no escape from it. Gritting my teeth and heading inside the first thing I hear damn near makes me bolt for the door again.

"You little whore. It's been one day and you've already started screwing someone. And you know damn well you aren't supposed to have more than one serving of lunch. And bullying Kimmy while in art because she made friends. I can't believe I could have such a horrid monster of a child. I knew I should have gotten rid of you when I could." My mother screams at me while the twin terrors stand there smirking at it and I don't know why but I snap back at her.

"You and Kim are the whores not me and fuck you Jay you lying shit." As it left my mouth I knew I was dead since Ive never snapped at anyone before. The stone cold look on my mother's face and the laughter of the others confirmed how screwed I was. Before I could stutter out an apology Matt came out of nowhere it seemed grabbing a fist full of my long brown hair. I manage not to scream as his other hand locks in a vice grip on my right upper arm and he starts forcing me to move toward my room. I grab his hand in my hair to stop him from pulling too much of my hair out and just hope for it to be over quickly but when we get to my room instead of just letting go he shoves me hard towards my floor.

With a slam of the door and the sound of the lock, I knew it was over for the evening. Quiet tears fall as I grab one of the mermaid books from my book stack and my comforter to curl up in the corner of my room farthest from the door. I sit reading for a while but every sound I hear makes me flinch and tense up. Once the sun had set I stopped reading since I could see the tear littered pages anymore and I listened closely as the house quieted for the night. Once it was silent long enough I relaxed and could faintly hear something but I fell asleep before figuring it out.