Chapter Five (EDITED)

I nervously gripped David's hand tight in mine as we walked to the entrance of the nightclub, my stomach doing somersaults.

"Look," David said, stopping beside the sidewalk to meet me face to face. The moon above reflected off his brown eyes and I realized how late it must be, how everyone must be wondering where I was. But at that moment I really didnt care too much because David was looking me in the eyes and holding my hands and then it occured to me; Crap, I'm starting to fall for him.

So I tried to bury those emotions under the sand and listen to what he was saying. I didn't want to fall for him, did I? I wasn't even sure what I was feeling. I just knew that I was developing feelings for him and that he probably wouldn't ever feel the same way.

But he called me pretty, didn't he? And he invited me to dinner with his friends.

"We're going to go to the club," David continued, "we're going to dance, we're going to have a great time. And you don't have to drink a single drop and for probably the first time in my life, I won't either. And we'll both just have some good, clean, sober fun, if you call being sober fun, then afterwards we'll hang out one-on-one and you'll tell me your whole life story and I'll tell you mine."

"Sounds good to me," I said, and he released my hands. "I'm just a bit nervous, I've never been in a situation like this before. Well, unless you count a high school party a classmate threw where the parents showed up half an hour in, before they could even bring out the booze," I immediatly regretted confessing that to him, why did I have to make myself sound so... so... lame?

David chuckled and flicked his ciggarette butt into a nearby ashtray, "Valerie, you're... different. I don't know, it's a good thing. Um, yeah, why did I just say that? I mean, oh, well forget it, let's go."

And with that David Schmitt and I entered a nightclub, bass pounding into the ground and up through my feet, my veins, until I was consumed by the sound of loud electronic music and tipsy shouts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"David!" I shouted, accidently pushing a few people in my attempt to reach him. Thank God I had finally found him again, crowds of thousands of people in band t-shirts under the hot sun for a majority of my day? That I could handle. A few hundred drunk people in tight dresses dancing to crappy music? That was basically a nightmare from hell for me.

"Val!" David greeted me, stumbling as someone stepped on his heel. "This is so weird, I'm sober. At a club. Hey, you don't look like you're having much fun."

"I don't know," I mumbled, then raised my voice so he could hear me over the music, "not my scene I guess."

"Come on," David pleaded, "dance!"

Just then a very familiar song began blasting through the speakers.

"Caught up and I can't feel my hands,"

"Oh, God" David moaned, rolling his eyes, "here we go."

I laughed. It was Breathe Carolina's song, Blackout.

"Okay, you sure as hell have to dance now!" he shouted over the bass, grabbing my hands and swinging them in the air, taking me by surprise. I felt awkard at first, I wasn't much of a dancer. But the more time we spent moving in unison, the more comfortable I felt dancing, and by the time the bridge swung around, I was jumping up and down with David and throwing my fists in the air, not caring who saw me.

"This won't stop 'till I say so! This won't stop 'till I say so! This won't stop 'till I say so! Keep going and going and going and go! Go!"

When the song transitioned I could feel my clothes sticking to my skin and smiled up at David, catching all the breath I had lost during my little adrenaline rush. We exchanged a look then continued dancing just has hard as we were before. I'll admit I began liking it, the feeling of dancing like that. It was new to me. I was used to being in a crowd for a gig, not in an environment like this. It was different, but change was good.