Chapter Ten

"I'm so glad you're doing better, hun," my aunt told me over the phone the next morning while I stepped aside from helping Dillon and the rest of the crew set up shop.

"Thanks, Aunt Lily. It means a lot."

"I need to go now, but you just call me if you need me, okay?"

"Promise."

"That's my girl, I'll talk to you later. I can't wait to see your beautiful face when you get home," she exclaimed. I chuckled and we said or goodbyes. I turned my attention back towards the merch tent and completely forgot about my weird dream last night. 

I thought back to yesterday, to David and I in the stuffy tour bus, nothing but a few inches of leather between us. The pounding heartbeat in my chest that shook my ribcage and echoed through my body, the words escaping his lips and wrapping around my neck, choking and intoxicating me. The crippling fire across my fingers when he put his hand in mine, and the drunk dizziness enveloping me when he kissed my cheek.

Maybe I was being over dramatic in my head, but at this point I was sure of my feelings for David, he made me happy in a way I hadn't felt before. I wanted to talk to him all night, learning what lied in every inch of his brain and exploring all his imperfections until they blended into mine and it didn't matter anymore. I wanted to pick him apart inch from inch until we both understood each other the way no one else could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day after day of blood, sweat, and sweet, sweet tears went by, and soon we found ourselves on the last week of  good ol' Warped Tour 2012. David and I hadn't talked a whole lot since that day on the bus, but we did exhange waves and sometimes even hugs every time we saw each other. I hadn't had another breakdown and everything seemed to be going pretty well.

I was sitting outside the tour bus with Alex one evening, after the day had finished. We were licking popsicles and relaxing, as the day had been excutiatingly hot and All Time Low's set had been one of the last of the day, leaving Alex exhausted.

"So what's going on with you and Carolina boy?" Alex joked, catching a red drip from his popsicle on the palm of his hand and licking it off. His sudden question took me by surprise and I could feel my cheeks get warm.

"Nothing, I mean, yeah, nothing" I stuttered. "Well, I mean, I guess not nothing at all, but we've just been talking a bit I guess. Friend stuff. He's nice"

Alex chuckled. "That's great. Jack's been getting a bit worried about you though."

"What? Why?"

"He wants you to be careful, he doesn't want you to get hurt"

"Oh my God" I scoffed, finishing the last bit of my popsicle.

"What?"

"I love Jack, but Jesus, he doesn't own me"

"He's just looking out for you, Val!"

"I know, and I appriciate it and understand, I really do, but I can take care of myself" I did really understand that Jack cared so much, and it meant a lot to me. But I was my own person and was tired of being treated like the baby here, why? Because I'm the girl?

I laughed. "Just forget it, Alex" I told him in a friendly tone, "I'm not pissed or anything, just forget it"

"You like David though, don't you?" Alex asked, licking the remains of his popsicle from it's wooden stick.

"Yeah," I said in a noticeably more serious voice than I had been speaking in before, "I guess I do"

I guess I do.

Alex tossed the popsicle stick on the ground and patted my shoulder. "Let's go watch some TV or something." I agreed and followed him into the bus.

I guess I do.