[18] Claire

On one of the last days of our trip, Kayla and I decided to have a movie day. We picked out three or four and camped out on the couch, but about an hour into the first one, it suddenly wasn't nearly as fascinating as her lips. They met mine a dozen times over before she moved down to nip at my neck. Her fingers pushed their way under my shirt to glide across my stomach, lighting a fire across my already hot skin.

That was enough to make my breath go shallow and my grip tighten around her arms so she wouldn't even think about pulling away. Maybe this wasn't the smartest idea to do this in my brother's living room, but after our fight and the incident with the four-wheeler—which was thankfully not broken—I couldn't get rid of this need to be all over her. Any separation between us just about killed me. We were so glued to each other that I started to slip down until I was lying beneath her, my head resting on the arm of the couch. Her body and lips covered mine, but it wasn't enough. I needed her on me without a single barrier.

Just as I started to tug at her shirt, a voice came from behind us. "Woah, okay, y'all need to cool it," Maggie said and Kayla was off of me within a second. My brother's girlfriend wasn't finished, though. "I swear you'd be going at it like two bunnies if Walker and I wouldn't catch y'all half the time. Thank the Lord pregnancy's not a concern. And don't go thinking for a second that I didn't know what was going on up in that room when you first got here." The heavy fog we'd been in was lifting and my core still ached from K's sudden departure, but I knew there was nothing I could do about it. She would be hesitant to touch me like that again today unless we were upstairs with the door locked, especially since what Maggie had said was pretty true. Even then, I knew she wouldn't be able to help it. It was like right after we'd first kissed—we were all over each other every chance we got.

I turned as I sat up and adjusted my clothes, a little annoyed that we'd been interrupted. K, however, looked mortified. Her cheeks were bright red and she wouldn't take her eyes off of the fingers she twisted together in her lap. I did feel a little bad for her because I knew being so open about her feelings was such a new thing. She was still terrified that they would suddenly have different opinions and disown me or something.

"What do you need, Maggie?" I asked as politely as I could. Masking my irritation wasn't exactly one of the easier things I'd done.

"I was just going to suggest that you guys go on a date tonight since you can't really do that back home, but it kind of seems like you beat me to it. Although, people normally make out with each other after they have dinner," she teased.

"Well, I'm not exactly opposed to doing this after, too." My girlfriend grew stiff beside me and I knew I'd regret making that joke later. "Um, but a date sounds nice. Can we, K?"

I looked over at her, but my small smile was only met with her playful frown. "This is how you're asking me out? Where are the flowers and declarations of love?"

"Shut up." I pushed her away from me and rolled my eyes at how cute she was. "You're ridiculous."

"Oh, am I? Now I really don't see how you could think this would make me want to say yes. It's a shame, but what else could I do with my free time? Maybe Walker and Maggie would want to do something with me and you could go out by yourself. What do you think—" I kissed her to cut her off, enjoying the way I felt her lips give up on the words they'd been trying to form. When I pulled away, she mumbled, "Yeah, okay, I'll go with you."

Maggie shook her head and turned to leave, apparently finished with her attempt to talk to us. "You guys would be annoying if you weren't so cute together."

~

Later that day, I heard a quiet knock on the door as movement in the mirror caught my eye. Walker was standing there, leaning against the frame, so I screwed my tube of liquid eyeliner shut and turned around, which he took as an invitation to come in.