Part 6

Arnav was walking his new client, out of the office, along with Lavanya, his head designer. They were busy discussing something that they failed to notice the girl in front of them.
Khushi was struggling with all the files in her hand, that she didn't notice the 3 people coming towards her and this collided against the wall, named ASR. And a prompt What the was heard. She went down on her knees to collect the files, while apologizing profusely.
Lavanya: "What the hell, chamkili, can't you see where you are going? "
Khushi: "I'm so sorry."
"Khushi?" She looked up hearing the new voice.
Khushi: "Vinay?"
Vinay(the client) : "Khushi.... What a pleasant surprise? Well, it shouldn't be much of a surprise that you are working in the best fashion house. But I expected you to start a fashion line, of yourself."
Khushi smiled at that: "How are you?"
Vinay: "I'm good. Took over the family business from dad. It's going well."
Arnav cleared his throat: "You two know each other?"
Vinay: "Yes. She was my junior in college."
Arnav: "Oh"
Vinay: "ASR. I want Khushi to head my project."
Lavanya: "What? Don't you think it is highly unprofessional? Just because you know her... "
Arnav: "Lavanya!"
Vinay: "Miss.Kashyap, it's not because I know her, but because I know her work, that I'm asking for her. You may not remember, but she beat you in the inter college designer's fest, while she was in the first year of college. I still remember because if the ruckus you made, after the results were announced. I was the coordinator for the event, from our college. She is the only first year student to participate, let alone win the contest ever, making her the only one who won the title thrice. So tell me again, why I would want a second best, when I can have the best?"
Lavanya was highly embarrassed hearing him as well as hell angry on Khushi. She glared at Khushi before storming off.
Khushi: "But Vinay... "
Arnav: "Khushi. You are gonna lead the project."
Khushi: "Ar... ASR... "
Arnav: "Mr.Kapoor, we will prepare the first draft and inform you."
Vinay nodded his head, bid his goodbye and left. Khushi turned to Arnav.
Khushi: "Arnav, what... "
Arnav: "Khushi, this decision is entirely professional. Our client wanted the best and make sure we give him the best."
Khushi simply nodded.

Khushi stood at the poolside, looking at the stars, fingering her chain. Seeing Vinay today, brought a lot of memories of her college days. Arnav walked out to the poolside, in search of her and saw the smile on her face and her fingers on her chain.
Arnav: "What's that?"
She turned around, startled, a hand over her chest.
Arnav: "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."
Khushi: "It's ok. I didn't notice you come in."
Arnav: "So, what it that?"
Khushi: "What?"
Arnav pointed towards her neck.
Her hand went to grab it, unconsciously.
Khushi: "This... Is my engagement ring."
Arnav: "What?" His eyes went to his own empty finger before noticing the mark on her finger, indicating that, there was a ring there, until recently.
Arnav: "I don't understand."
Khushi looked at him, surprised.
Khushi: "You don't know." It was a statement, than a question. "I guess our family were so keen on getting us married, that they didn't tell you anything about me.... I... I was engaged, 5yrs ago.. "
Arnav: "What... What happened?"
Khushi sighed deeply: "An accident. It was the night before our marriage. I... I forced him, to take me out. If only I hadn't.... A group of drunk teenagers was all it took, to destroy my perfect life. To turn my world upside down. We were supposed to be married in a few hours... If only I hadn't..." A tear dropped from her eyes.
Arnav gathered her into his arm.
Arnav: "Shh... It's ok... It's not your fault... It's not your fault. I don't think he would want to see you sad."
Khushi wiped her tear: "He wouldn't.. "
Arnav: "So it was a love marriage, I suppose... "
Khushi smiled slightly at that: "We didn't really start on a good note, you know. It was the first time, I was late to class. And he was our new lecturer. He didn't believe me when I told him that I was with the principal, to discuss about the fashion fest. He thought that I was bluffing, because it's usually the final year students who participate. I was just in the second year. Told me to get a note from the principal. He was mocking me the whole time. I got so mad, that I decided not to attend his classes. I went to the principal and made excuses that I might not be able to attend some classes due to the upcoming event. He told me that he would manage the attendance. What he didn't know was that I was planning to skip only one lecturer's class."
Arnav slightly smiled at that. He was happy that she was sharing her past with him. But, at the same time, he was not feeling good, hearing her talking about some other guy, Advay, he guessed. She was clearly in love with the guy, still. Her chain held, not one, but two rings. The other one probably Advay's.
She was back to staring at the stars, while he stood their staring at her face.

I don't know how to take this story forward. I know where this will reach. But don't have any idea how to take it there. Thus the long gap, between the updates. I'm sorry for that. This story may go forward at a very fast pace and there might be lack of detailing.
Not proof read. Sorry for the typos.
Thanks for reading. Do comment...