24. Healing the Body

A flood rolled through every part of her body.

Destan was there with her, holding her and letting the Water flow through her. She heard him singing lightly; it was the same song she had heard from Water for so long. His presence was feminine, perhaps because of the Lady, but he fluctuated between the male and female forms as he allowed the Water to work on her. His joy and hers mingled, she couldn't tell where one began and the other ended.

Her body tingled as Water touched every old scar, every crack, every poorly healed wound. It was minutes, hours, or seconds. She couldn't tell, but as the song left, flowing back out as it had come in, she felt renewed and intact for the first time in a very long time.

Natalia opened her eyes in time to witness Destan collapsing into Leena's waiting arms. Alarmed, Natalia rushed to help, but Leena waved her off.

"Healers use much of their energy to heal; it is their unique price to pay," Leena blurted as she assisted Destan to steps that Natalia had not noticed before. A servant was waiting with his feet in the water to help. "He will be fine when he rests, but it would be best not to touch him. You are still in need of healing."

"But I feel wonderful."

"I am glad." Leena smiled and waved over another servant. He accepted Destan from his wet companion and carried him away. "But you have more to heal than your body; you know this." She stood, looking tired as well. "This will, I'm afraid, have to wait until Destan recovers. He had to use some of my strength to expel the Lady this time."

"How long will he be this way?" Natalia was distressed to have done this to him.

"Oh, he will be at his full strength again in a day, two at the most. He is a most remarkable healer." Leena walked with her to the changing area. "We are lucky to have him here and lucky the Queen underestimated him."

"He is her brother, yes?" Natalia asked as she slipped on her dry robe.

"Yes. Though I do not think he wants us to know that." Leena pulled her hair up into a bun. "I can only imagine how devastating it was to be a Water Priest during the purge, knowing that he was safe but could not save the others. How much guilt he must carry."

"Oh." Natalia had not thought of this and was vaguely surprised Leena had. "Why did the Queen destroy the Water Temple?"

"No one knows. Well, perhaps Destan does, but I doubt it. The official proclamation spoke of the treason of the High Priest and the need to cleanse the Queendom of his taint. The priestesses and priests were offered to renounce their bonds or leave the Queendom. Somehow, only a few lucky ones did escape. The stories they told were horrifying." Leena walked with her to the door as they spoke. "The Queen was young and rash. The purge remains her greatest mistake. One of the few, but one is enough."

Natalia chose silence instead of speaking against her. The Queen had made many mistakes, and most had cost innocent lives. Underestimating Lukas may have been an even greater mistake, but time would clarify this. Before arguing the point with Leena, Natalia would wait to understand her stance more. In her experience, patience was often rewarded.

============================

Destan awoke alone. For a moment, he lay in confusion; this was not his room, his golden cage. His vision narrowed as he stared at the ceiling and unfamiliar walls, and beads of sweat grew on his forehead. His heart fluttered like a trapped bird. Then the Lady came, reassuring, calm. His heart slowed, and he relaxed his tense muscles. He remembered where he was and sat up.

"Is she healed?" Destan could not remember the healing. Often when the Lady intervened so actively, he would lose himself. The Lady rose from a pool of water near his bed.