25. Meeting Mother

Diddero and Raja had gone ahead. They had found a mutual interest in rock climbing, and Diddero was bringing Raja to see some of the climbs he had mapped out. Because she needed to become stronger, and possessing the skill to climb a mountain could prove helpful, she promised to try it. But Natalia couldn't quite see why Raja found it entertaining.

As she waited, she laid her outer robe by the stream and waded in the water. The water rushed by her feet, tickling her ankles and toes. The stones beneath her feet were smooth, worn over time by the rushing water.

Natalia wiggled her toes happily; she could not remember the last time she had walked barefoot in a river. Perhaps, it had been before she had married Lukas. After their marriage, the responsibility of being the wife of the Academy's most influential student made her feel she could no longer do such childish things. For how long had she lived under Lukas's shadow? She stopped walking and stared at the flowing water contemplating this new thought. Lukas had shaped her entire life. She had been his friend, lover, wife, and finally, his captor and savior. Now, what was she to him, and what was he to her?

When Water arrived, her heart fluttered as the singing began. Leena explained that the Lady, as they called her here, loved to sing for her friends. When magic users heard her song, the Lady was happy, which made Natalia happy too. Then Natalia heard Destan's contralto voice added to the Lady's soft soprano. She turned and saw the man standing at the bank closest to the cottage staring at her with a gentle smile. His mouth didn't move, yet his song infused her body, leaving it lighter and refreshed wherever it touched.

He had to have been younger than her, the Queen was near Lukas's age, and as she had read in his thoughts, he was her younger brother. But he was so calm and wise; he seemed almost ageless. She beaconed him to join her, and the slight blush and hesitation he responded with betrayed some of his youth. Natalia chuckled softly once he made his decision and peeled off his boots before rolling up his trousers.

As Destan waded out to her, she appreciated his body. Though she felt a strong feminine element in him, his outer form was masculine. He had the shape of a man who often swam, with broader shoulders than she would expect for his petite frame and a muscular chest. She had felt that chest against her hand and body during her healing, and the memory sent tingles through her belly.

His dark hair fell into his eyes when he leaned forward to watch his step. His hazel eyes, which had been so familiar to Raja, must be the same as the Queen. Was it the shape or color that resembled her, or was it both? She could not imagine anything of the Queen in this man's open, lovely face. But, they were of the same blood, the same parentage. Had he been a female at birth, he would have been a rival and likely never have survived.

"The water is refreshing," Destan commented as he reached her. "It is a nice day for this."

"Yes, just hot enough for wading, but not yet for a swim."

"Is there a lake?"

"Yes, Diddero showed us. It is filled with mountain water, so cold."

"There should be ways to heat it."

"I believe the Master can, can you?" Natalia was curious as to the extent of this priest's power.

"I do not know. I have never tried it," he replied.

She stepped forward and stumbled unexpectedly. Destan grabbed her elbow to steady her, threatening to pull them into her Mindspace.

"Try your shield," Destan prompted. "Keep me out." She complied and found it more comfortable than before. He let go of her elbow and smiled.

"The Shield Master will show you a better way, I am sure, but this will work until your lessons begin." He sounded almost proud of her, and she was pleased when she thought of it. She had blocked him despite a prolonged touch, something she had not been able to do with someone unshielded.