26. Healing the Mind

A polite but firm knocking on the hallway door interrupted their embrace. Power rolled through Natalia's bond with Raja like thunder, making it difficult for her to breathe. When his power wildly reached outside their bond, the tangy sweetness of excitement faded into the bitter taste of fear, and the knocking intensified. Unable to ignore it any longer, she slipped out from Raja's arms and rushed to the door, her heart leaping wildly when it opened of its own accord. Paulo walked in, and a calm washed over her. He would know what to do.

"Sorry about that, I can open any door in my home, but I do usually wait," he apologized breezily as he walked past Natalia to Raja, who had followed her into the sitting room.

Raja looked at the Master with awe, then reached out to touch the air around Paulo, trying to grab something Natalia couldn't see. Paulo stepped closer to Raja and put his hands on the younger man's shoulders.

"I felt the barrier crack wide open just as I arrived. I understand why the Mother called me home. This was no kindness to you, Raja, though it does make things easier for me," Paulo explained before bending over to Raja's ear and murmuring something Natalia couldn't hear over the blood that still rushed through her ears. With a start, Raja looked at the Master and nodded. Paulo then closed his eyes, and Natalia felt the power ebb. With its departure, the pounding in her chest and head lessened. It still flowed through Raja, but an outside force tempered it. The Master had constrained the power, but Natalia could not see how.

"You will learn to do this yourself, Raja," the Master promised as he released Raja and looked back at Natalia. "You have already started this, Natalia. You have a natural restraint that your bondmate does not share. The Tribe was right to fear Raja's power. It is very raw." He shook his head slightly, then frowned

"The testing will not go easily, I fear. I will need to call in another Master to help. I had already prepared for this. I will talk with Mara tonight. She is strong in Fire and Air, which we will need." He looked with contemplation at both of them. "I will also talk with your Aunt, Raja, and ask her to come. I fear you may have an affinity to Air that even Mara will find challenging. And I must think about Earth. I may have to call in an almost ancient favor."

Natalia put a hand on Raja's arm, and he smiled reassuringly at her. "I am all right."

"Should we call Destan?" Natalia asked hesitantly and grasped Raja's arm.

"I am here, but his need was not the one that called to me." Destan's voice floated around Paulo, who looked at the smaller man and smiled widely.

"Ah, Destan, my young Priest healer, it is wonderful to meet you in person."

"Yes, it is good to meet you, Master." Destan accepted the offered hand, and Natalia suppressed an amused giggle when Paulo swept the surprised Priest into a brotherly hug.

"I feel that we are friends," Paulo said. "I have never met another with such a strong relationship with our Lady. It is why I let you see what you saw." Destan stared at him in silence, and tears fell from his eyes.

Natalia let go of Raja's arm and rushed to Destan, who put out a hand for her to grab but shook his head. "I am not sad, Natalia. I have not been claimed as a friend before. It was a shock."

"But we are friends," Paulo insisted. Not at all worried about the response or distressed by the young man's tears. He instead walked to Raja and pulled him to the table. "And you, Raja, should eat something now." He patted his significant belly. "And I think I will join you." He glanced at Destan. "Take her now. Lukas will be here soon to speak with his mate; it is a good time."

Natalia froze and felt the hand nestled in Destan's grasp tighten.

"Lukas?" Raja said the name Natalia's now parched tongue could not voice. "How do you know he is coming?"