Chapter 6

It was already late in the evening when Damian and Bruno finished all the paperwork for the day. With the summit only two days away, they were busier than ever. Their little sister was already complaining of not seeing them enough due to the fact its past her bedtime when they arrive at the ducal house and they tend to leave in the morning before she was up.

"The carriage is ready, Damian. Let's head home. I'm famished."

They were walking along the corridor when Damian suddenly stopped.

"Bruno, do you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"That sound..."

"Oh, sorry. That's probably my stomach. Let's just get home."

Damian was hearing a soft melody and he is certain it wasn't Bruno's increasingly growing appetite.

When they arrived at the carriage, Damian told his friend to go home without him. He has this sudden urge to investigate that mysterious sound.

"What should I tell mother?"

"Tell her...nothing. I'll be home in a while."

Bruno observed Damian for a bit then conceded. His friend wouldn't do something if it wasn't worth his time.

"Alright then. I'll be going on ahead."

Damian watched as the carriage fade into the distance. He then walked towards where he thinks the sound was coming from. It was strange. It was coming from the forest. Still following the music, he wandered in the darkness.

The music was getting louder as he approached a clearing. It lead him to a large field with a lone wisteria tree in the middle. The place was filled with fireflies and under the full moon, the scenery was breathtaking.

But what caught Damian's eye was that sitting atop the wisteria tree was a woman playing a flute.

The woman was sitting on a thick branch with her back to him. Her long silver hair was swaying gently to the breeze together with the wisteria flowers, giving it a whimsical feeling. She was wearing a long, sleeveless white dress that compliments her creamy white complexion.

He hasn't even seen what she looks like or knew who she was but he was already enthralled by her. She was like a mysterious fairy casually enjoying her time atop her favorite tree. Staring up at her, he was rooted to the spot.

What the...? I can't seem to look away. What is this feeling...?

The woman doesn't seem to notice his presence so Damian remained still, quietly enjoying the soft music. He wants to stay there for the longest time in that perfect moment.

There was something about this woman that captivates him. His heart was racing yet his whole being felt so calm. He hadn't felt this way since he met Ted.

With that thought, he suddenly felt guilty. He already has Ted, albeit, he hasn't found her yet. So why was he interested in this woman?

The music suddenly stopped and it was followed by a small sneeze. Damian could see the woman's figure slighty tremble due to the chilly night breeze.

With thin clothing like that, of course she'll get cold.

Without realizing it, Damian was already taking off his coat and began approaching the tree. The thought of this person getting sick wasn't sitting right with him.

When he was at the bottom of the massive tree, his foot accidentally snapped a twig.

The woman whipped her head behind her in search for what created the sound. When Astrid's eyes landed on a familiar man, she was startled beyond belief. She was just literally thinking about him a moment ago and in true Damian fashion, he appears out of nowhere without her sensing his presence.