Chapter 14

Lucia was in a state of deep thought. Last night's events were still bothering her and it won't permit her to sleep. Though her husband played a big part in her sleepless state, she was still thinking about the predicament her son is in.

She knew there was an important announcement at last night's ball but nothing could have prepared her for the engagement of Astrid to another country's crown prince. And the most excruciating part was her son's emotional state.

Instead of focusing their attention on the newly engaged couple, the attendees were drawn towards the far back where the young Count Taran was. He was leaning against the wall while holding a cracked glass of champagne. What a sight he was. One can compare his beauty to a chiseled statue created by the most glorified sculptor. He was murderously calm and withdrawn that some nobles from Xenon were even bewildered by his sudden change in demeanor.

They are fools.

People were so used to Damian's polite behaviour that they had forgotten a simple fact. That he is of the Duke's blood. He can be smiling gently at you while he visciously carve your heart out of your chest. And the ominous aura he was emitting at the time was enough to cause those nearby to tremble in their knees.

The only ones who were brave enough to approach him were Bruno, Chris and a clueless foreign lady who immediately scurried away after a glance from Damian. After the announcement, he simply downed his glass and walked outside towards the carriage and headed home, letting the audience breathe a sigh of relief. But that was shortlived as the Duke saw worry settle on his wife's face and began to exude his own dark aura. For him, only a smile shall grace her beautiful face.

The princess was smiling amicably during that time but her eyes were clouded with anxiety and she seemed to turn pale by the second. Lucia had wanted to talk with her again but the princess was swept away by her aide. To be honest, Lucia was heartbroken by the news but she still clapped along with everyone else as to not show disrespect towards the royal couple.

Lucia was reeling with sadness. Now that the only woman that could capture her son's attention like that was out of the picture, she worries that he would stay single for a long time. She can't let that happen. Now that she had the pleasure of imagining Astrid as her daughter-in-law, she can't help but compare all other ladies to her. And they all fell short of her expectations as her son's bride. Only Astrid passed with flying colours.

Lucia was outside Damian's room, still contemplating whether it was the right time to talk to him about it. She was carrying a tray of tea and sweets that they could munch as they talk. Jerome tried his hardest to persuade the Duchess that he should carry it in but Lucia insisted.

After taking a deep breath, Lucia signalled Jerome to knock and open the door for her. As she entered Damian's bedroom, she saw Bruno sitting at the couch with Damian, who are both talking in low whispers. When Lucia called their attention, Damian raised his head and that was when Lucia caught a glimpse of something glistening in his hand.

With a loud crash, the porcelain pot and slices of cake were scattered at the floor and Lucia can be seen collapsed on her knees with a pale stricken face.

"Mother! Are you alright?", Damian and Bruno exclaimed. They ran towards their mother and helped her up. She was pale as a sheet, her knees shook and her eyes were unfocused. With the unsightly state of his receiving room, Damian lead them towards his balcony where a table and a couple of chairs were placed. The fresh morning air would do good on their mother's wellbeing.

As Bruno was helping their mother take a seat, for a brief moment he caught an excited glaze in Lucia's eyes before it dissappeared. What was their mother so excited about? She was just rattled a moment ago as if she saw a ghost and now she was staring intently at the pendant in Damian's hand.