Chapter 17

'There she is.' Lucia squealed while looking at Astrid from afar. Even with the distance between them, she felt extremely emotional. Lucia had already given up the thought of ever meeting Ted in this life. But now that she has appeared before her, it was like a thorn got pulled out of Lucia's chest.

Lucia could see that Astrid was doing good. There were no visible scars in her face and body. She looks healthy, loved and happy. If she was still in her dream life, it would have taken many years before Lucia could have met Astrid. But she was glad to see her this young and radiant along side her sons. She was still void of the hardships she would likely endure in the future.

Much like the dream life Lucia, Ted had told her some stories of how she had gotten married once and it turned out to be the worst chapters of her life. Ted wasn't abused sexually by her previous husband, but he beat her half to death and treated her like a slave. Now that those unfortunate events haven't happened yet, Lucia could do something to prevent Ted's tragic fate.

"No need to rush, Vivian." Lucia felt a hand tighten its hold on the lowest part of her back, just above her buttocks. Feeling heated, she looked up at her husband, who was looking handsome as always. Seeing him smile down at her made her remember how his lips brushed against her skin last night. Her face suddenly turned bright and she had to remind herself of where they are.

"I'm just glad that she's doing well. Oh, I don't know if I should approach her. What should I do, Hue?" Lucia covered her hot cheeks with her hands in an attempt to cool them down. She had spent the past half hour contemplating on approaching Astrid but she was afraid that she might hug her out of nowhere and startle the princess.

"Want me to carry you over there?", Hugo asks mischievously as he looked down towards his fidgeting wife.

"Hue!" Lucia exclaimed in surprise. She hit his arms when they attempted to grab her and Hugo just chuckled at his wife. If she hadn't retaliated, he would have had his wife within his arms in a heartbeat. Even if she hit him with all her might, it barely stung him.

Returning his gaze at the target of his wife's attention, he couldn't help but feel cautious of the princess of Persipolis. There was something strange he felt whenever he laid his eyes on her and he was sure that it wasn't jealousy. He wasn't such a petty husband to get jealous over his wife's diverted attention.

No. It was an unspeakable force. It felt ancient. His wild instincts were telling him to thread carefully.

So naturally, Hugo ordered a background check on the young lady. But even with the fact that the princess has led a hard life, Hugo's men couldn't find anything that would explain what he strangely felt. There were reports of unfanthomable rumors, something that has to do with the madoh empire. But unless he himself could witness it, it would stay just as that, mere old wives' tales. The only thing he knew was that his wife had complete trust on the princess and in turn, he trusts his wife's judgement.

As Hugo was about to get another glass of wine from a passing server, there was a sudden faint tension in the air and the hair on the back of his head stood up. He immediately put his body infront to cover his wife and his ruby eyes shone brighter, scanning the crowd intently. Nothing was amiss and the only commotion he could see was within the group of Damian. He saw how Damian pulled the princess and the movements of the princess' aide. Something had happened.

***

'Silva!'

Astrid cried internally, watching helplessly as Silva leave her in the lion's paws. She could feel cold sweat slide down her bare back as the ominous feeling beside her intensified. Damian still has a hold of her, making sure that she doesn't flee from him.