Chapter 0: A simple decision

Picture a world where everything you could imagine exists in unison. A world where your wildest dreams could be a reality, and become greater than you ever thought possible.
No
"Jay! Wake your ass up! We gotta head out today!", is all I heard as my eyes began to open. Letting out a groan, I rolled out of my bed. The sound of my little brother playing video games echoed through my home. I knew what today was and thanks to the sound of my friend's voice outside of my window, I was reminded of something I didn't think was that hype worthy.

When I stepped out of my room, I wasn't fully awake, but I figured I should put some pep in my step anyway. After brushing my teeth and eating some buttered toast, I left my house to meet with my friends, Eric and Arden, who were waiting just outside. "Yo dude, we gotta go.", Eric said to me. Arden nodded in agreement. I realized that my parents didn't even get to say goodbye to me. It's kind of sad, but I doubt they were even awake to see me off. I shrugged and we ran off towards the old house. The Old House used to be a temple, but anti-weebs decided to go against it and suggested something more modern. So, it was turned into a really big house. It was mainly being funded by a bunch of companies that supported the idea of dangerous ceremonies that gave teenagers magical abilities which resulted in them going out into a world where demons and other creatures existed. I was gonna be one of those teens that chose to partake in this ceremony, known as The Conversion.

The Conversion. Yes I am aware it sounds pretty interesting and you probably wanna know what the conversion is, and why I'm not hype for it. Well, the conversion is a ceremony where you convert your mana into an ability of your choosing. I am not gonna explain mana to you because if you've played RPGs or watched anime then you pretty much get the idea.

The demon that overlooked my conversion never stated his name, but thanks to his name tag, I identified him as Nobu. He was a chubby demon monk with a big ass gourd bottle on his back. I wasn't gonna ask what it was for because I really didn't care what it was for. Nobu ordered me to take a seat and clear my mind in a dark room located in the back of the building. The practitioner overlooking the ceremony must forcefully release your mana points so that it can take shape into whatever the hell you wanted your ability to be. I didn't know what I wanted exactly so I was basically set up for failure. See, once your mana converts you are stuck with whatever ability you get. To prevent people from committing suicide, the companies urged convertees to think about their ability down to every minor pro and con, so that it could be exactly the way they wanted. This meant it usually took a long time for the ceremony to finish. That wasn't the case for me. I went in and walked out. Nobu was confused, Everyone that saw me go in was confused, but most importantly, the companies that funded the place were confused. Nobody knew what I got, and they didn't really wanna know. They either thought I already had an ability planned years prior to this moment, or that I had simply messed up my ability. Neither were right.

When I was in the ceremony, I told my mana to make me super strong without having to use magic. I wasn't gonna tell anybody that though, since once you partake in the conversion your body naturally increases to peak level. When my ceremony was finished, I sat and waited for my friends to come out, which took about 4 hours. They both came out looking very pleased. Eric now had a black symbol that stretched up his right arm and stopped at his shoulder. Arden looked the same as he did when he went in, as did I. We had already decided to leave our abilities a secret until our first quest as an adventurer team, so off we went. The day was still young and the world was forever shifting, as I thought about something I pictured in my head before yelling out what I saw.

"A sword?" I said to myself.

"Jay? You said something?" Eric asked as he and Arden looked at me slightly confused.

I shook my head and the three of us walked off into the guildhall to receive our first mission.