oikawa's birthday (part 2)

July 20th. Oikawa's birthday.

Oikawa sat up from his bed. Next to him was his phone, constantly buzzing with new notifications.
He picked it up and eagerly look through the messages. Most were his fangirls commenting, 'Happy Birthday Oikawa-san!' on his latest Instagram post. He replied politely to every single one of them. A few of the notifications were from his family members and the rest,  his friends, mostly via the volleyball group chat. Oikawa usually stayed up late and would hardly sleep but he decided since it was his birthday, he might as well sleep a good 7 hours.

You'd expect a guy like Oikawa to be ecstatic about his birthday and super excited, but weirdly enough, this year, he was indifferent. So many thoughts in his head, his birthday was the last thing he could think about. Next term was his last time to win the preliminaries and go to Nationals. They had lost to Shiratorizawa this time and the time before that... And the other time before that. But he was determined it was not going to happen again. He'd usually say to himself, 'There's always next term,' or, 'There's always next year.' However, painfully enough, this wasn't going to be the case anymore. Oikawa dwelled in these thoughts, staring at his screen blankly until another notification popped up which Oikawa looked at.

Iwa-chan 6:30 am
you better have not stayed up all night trashykawa
also, happy birthday

"Aw, thank you Iwa-chan~," Oikawa said while reading the text, " but 'happy birthday' would've been fine." He quickly typed a reply.

thank you iwa-chan

"Mmm, too bland. Let's spice it up a bit."  He rubbed his hand together, ready to spice up the message. He tapped the screen once again, adding a lot of kawaii emoticons.

thank you iwa-chan ٩(◕‿◕)۶    *:..o(▽≦)o..:* (o^^o) (⌒▽⌒) <()>

"Ah, perfect." Oikawa hit the send button. He stood up and placed his phone on the desk then turned over to his school uniform which was hung up on the wall.

"In some months time, I'll never wear you again, isn't that crazy?" Oikawa smiled sadly, as he reached for the clothes. He froze for a second, rethinking his thoughts.

"Why am I so down? It's my birthday." He squinted his eyes and his thoughts grew deeper, "I shouldn't be thinking so much. I should enjoy today, it's my last birthday as an Aoba Johsai student after all, instead of having these depressing thoughts."

Oikawa refreshed his mind, "All right, let's begin today on a high note..." He got ready for school.

He went to the kitchen so he could eat his breakfast. As he entered, he saw his mum and dad. His dad was swiftly typing on his laptop with his mum glancing over at the screen, helping his dad out. When they heard Oikawa's footsteps, they both looked up and smiled.

"Happy Birthday Tooru!!" They both exclaimed.

The three of them chatted for a while, then Oikawa went back to his bedroom to retrieve his bag and opened the front door, ready to go to school. To his surprise, Iwaizumi was standing next to the house door with his headphones on.

"Iwa-chan?" Oikawa said delighted, "I wasn't expecting you here!"

"Well, it is your birthday." Iwaizumi took off his headphones, "Took you a while though. I've been standing here for almost an hour."