The Girl Lost In Time Part 11

Part  11

Relief came over me as I heard them, those sweet black birds that sang their morning song. My eyelids opened as the sun light hit them, waking me from a light sleep. A gold field surrounded me, reflecting the suns golden glow. As I was lying, Will was hugging me from behind, still asleep. I smiled with his warmth as I stretched my neck, trying to look around me until I spotted my leg. A red mark peeped through the undercoat of my dress.  Panicked, I pulled my dress up to reveal a burn to cover most of the skin. It was a raw, bloody, and red with wrinkled, wounded flesh. Then it all came back to me, the fire.  Like flashing, scattered photos whirling throughout my mind. I flung myself up into a sitting position and like a giant charcoal pile, the forest lost all life. Part of Mother Nature's gift was sent to the ashes. The fire won, that servant of hell achieved it purpose and stole the life from such a beautiful woodland.

I felt a hand grip my shoulder "Are you okay Jane?" I turned to Will and upturned one corner of mouth to reassure him.

"I'm fine," I sighed and placed my head on his shoulder as we both stare at the devastation in front of us.

...

Even though both Will and I were still traumatised by the fire, we know we had to carry on and accept that it happened. We were grateful the horses survived the fire so we were able to travel further; William told me that he was taking me to a town in which the higher class lived. Meeting William made me realise how different the two communities lived. Living with the better off, I know that we never have that community bond. We didn't need to, we were able to live independently but not having that independence have caused a community come together, creating a bond between every individual, like giant family.

Whilst in deep thought I lead the convocation onto a similar topic, "Do you have a family Will?" I asked as I looked over to him on his horse.

"Well Jane, both my parents have passed away, I only have my sister left,"

I knew exactly how it felt to lose both parents, to know that they were no longer there to watch over you. Deep down, I felt his pain. "I'm so sorry Will,"

It remained quiet for a moment although I wanted to dig deep, get to know the man that saved my life.

"How... I know it's a personal question but how did they?" I asked not thinking beforehand.

"A fire, in a small cottage where we lived. I was ten and I was woken up by father who carried me to my mother and Kelsey who was only 4 at the time. Fire was everywhere and the smoke just seemed to suffocate us.  My father saw mice running across the floor and disappearing into the smoke and told Kelsey and I to follow them as animals have a natural instinct for finding their way out of the fire. Unfortunately, although I and Kelsey survived, my mother and father didn't,"

"That's how you knew to follow the horses," I exclaimed and in response he nodded slightly. "So what did you and Kelsey do after?"

"The community seemed to raise us, from a young age we started to make profit from picking fruits and selling them on small stalls. At the age of 16 we built a small farm, and a few years later, here I am,"

"You must have really worked hard," I smiled.

I felt so ungrateful, knowing for well that for the life I have, I did not need to work for but only to be born into.  Not once was I left to support myself picking fruit, Will deserved my life a lot more than I do, he deserved it for the work he put in, not only for himself but Kelsey too.

...

And another day we spent travelling through; fields, sinking into crops, forests, lost in woodland and marshes, swimming through pool of murky water. The weather rained on most of the way causing our bodies to freeze in our damp clothes. This journey seemed to turn into a long tiring adventure and we both were starving and thirsty yet I loved the thrill of discovery.

"Will can we stop now, we have been travelling miles today," I winged like child but in an instant he got of his horse.

"Of course Jane,"

I also climbed off shadow and took the reins of his stallion and a tied them loosely around a small trunk although as I turn round, I found myself to be lugged with small logs off wood.

"You can help me built the fire this time," Will teased as he started to pile another load of wood.

"Fine!"

I no longer cared if my dress was dirty, if my hair was messed, this was the first time I had smiled in my time of grief. All I seemed to do was laugh as Will and I build the fire. We messed around like children, poking, ticking, and joking. And after sparking a flame to light the wood we continued with our immature behaviour until quickly and suddenly the mood changed and deepened as the night took over the sky.

"Jane?"

I look up at Will through the flames as his face waved in the gases. "Yes?"

"Why are you here, what is the importance of you coming back to this time?"

...