8) Confronting ideas

"Hopper! I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation."

The Chief looked up with serious eyes at his superior. Normally, when he was told about "serious things" in Hawkins, he was right not to pay attention. And he wished so badly that it wasn't the case today...

"You're the one who doesn't realise the magnitude of it. We're talking about a Russian threat in the heart of Indiana. And while we now know their position and have estimated their numbers, we still know nothing about their equipment."

"This weekend there will be a rotation of troops on the ground, for six hours, their numbers will be halved. It's time for a lightning attack! A second opportunity like this won't present itself before several months."

"You've already told me that enough times for me to be able to recite it word for word in my sleep, and I still disapprove of it. We have to contact the army." Hopper pointedly glanced at the phone in his office.

"I don't want to make any waves around here.", his superior protested, his lips pursed. He stood ramrod straight, refusing to lean against the back of his chair. "There's been enough trouble with Hawkins in the last few years, and I suppose I don't need to remind you that I was the one who took all the steps that partially covered it all up. It'd be a shame to let this whole thing go to waste, Chief... You and your little second-rate precinct had better get off the radar. And I'm not sure sending state officials there for the second time in a few months is the best way to keep the truth from them."

"I'm keeping a tight rein on my men, and I refuse to let them get worry in any way about this case. I repeat that we do not yet know the enemy well enough. Who's to say we wouldn't be going head first into a suicide operation here!"

"I can only advise you to give it more thought. It would indeed be unfortunate if people in high places discovered the setbacks of the peaceful town of Hawkins. But that would be inevitable if state forces were to arrive in the area."

"If they want to come... then nothing will stop them from uncovering just about everything that's happened... And I'm willing to assume that they'll find out... a couple of things, but I'm not going to put my troops in harm's way."

"It's no longer your decision, Hopper," Frank said, standing up. "Tomorrow morning, your troops will be under my command."

"Why are you doing this?" Hopper tried to control his voice, but he was boiling inside.

"Because I knew you wouldn't want this operation. You're a loose cannon, and I can't count on your cooperation...And I can't afford for you to screw it up. However..." (he sighs)

He handed Hopper some papers, and he recognized the plans they'd hatched with Murray.

"I must admit your plan is a good one. I'm going to stick to what's in these files. It's all I can do..."

**********************************************************************************************

"Jonathan, Jonathan... we need to talk."

The young man was home for the weekend, and Joyce would've liked to have had him under better circumstances. Tomorrow she was going on a mission, she was going to put her life in danger again. She needed to talk to him, she needed someone to confide in... But she'd rather talk to Will about it later. Even though she feared his elder brother's explosive reaction, she didn't want to give her younger son the extra shock.

Mother and son had both gone to the lake for a walk. The sun was gradually fading, and the leaves were cracking under their feet. At first they talked about the studies of the teenager, who was going to a school in the city. He described the pace of life in the city with obvious astonishment, but with a touch of nostalgia he spoke of how much he would miss life in Hawkins at times. Finally, curiosity gnawing at him, he asked his mother...