14) The walls to hide

18h30... And the Chief still wasn't there.

Joyce and her son were having dinner to starting to eat whatever pasta remained. Rationing was becoming urgent. The two had eaten in silence, as if the youngest could feel his mother's growing tension and anxiety.

"He's coming..." he affirmed. Joyce nodded.

But at seven o'clock... He still wasn't there.

The phone rang and Will went to pick it up.

"Hello?"

"..."

"No, he's not here. You say he's not with you?"

"..."

Will turned to his mother.

"It's El, Hopper's still not home. She can't get him on the phone at the police station."

Joyce then made a decision. She knew the Chief wouldn't like it, but that wasn't going to make her back down. She came to grab the phone.

"El, can you hear me?"

"Yeah, I hear you."

"Perfect". I hope you're all right. I'm on my way to your dad's work. From there, he'll call you and let you know what's going on. Is that okay?"

"All right, let's do this." the girl answered, visibly relieved.

"See you later."

"Thank you... Joyce."

Joyce hung up, surprised that El called her by her first name. It brought her a breath of joy and relief...

Her son shouted behind her.

"You know very well you're not able to take the car! What exactly did you think you were doing?!"

"Everything's going to be all right with me, honey... But I'm worried about Hopper. Something bad must have happened."

"Stop doing whatever you want !. People around you are trying to protect you, and you don't listen to anyone! Your mission wasn't enough?!"

Will's anger surprised Joyce, he usually kept his cool under all circumstances, and hated to raise his voice. His aggressive tone caught her off guard... But deep down, he was right.

Ever since she took this job, she had acted as if she had nothing to lose. As if nothing was waiting for her around the corner. The truth was there... If she had followed the plan assigned to her on the mission, she wouldn't have been hurt. And still tonight, she could have chosen safety, staying home... But she was about to miss something important. She knew it deep down.

Joyce turned to her son, placing her hands on his shoulders.

"It's true... I've made mistakes. I should never have kept the truth from you out of fear you couldn't handle it, because you're strong. So yes, I still have a lot of work to do... But I still have a hard time realizing how much you're growing up..."

However, I'm asking you to let me go. I'll be back soon, when everything's resolved. And this time I won't embark on a dangerous mission. But Hopper may be in trouble, and I'm his friend... And friends help each other out. You know that better than anyone, don't you?"

The boy nodded weakly.

"You know," Joyce continued, "Hopper's always been there for me through the hardest times of my life. I need to be there in turn... for him..."

Will nodded again. Then he just let go.

"He's not gonna agree."

"He better not complain if I'm coming to help him."