11) After the fight

Despite Hopper's protests, they had to wait another 10 minutes before a doctor was available. Joyce was lying down, and Hopper sat down beside her to keep her awake.

And simply because he needed to.

He had often experienced fear in his life, but the image of Joyce and her bleeding leg would certainly remain etched in his memory for the rest of his life. He knew she would survive it, but that was not the point. The bullet could have hit most of her vital organs... Or even a muscle, rendering her leg unusable. He tried to push those thoughts aside, yet remorse and doubt gnawed at him. Was it a bad idea to offer her this job? Had she been hurt because of him?... Remorse was eating away at his soul. He should have been there. And more than that, she shouldn't have been in the middle of a battlefield. She couldn't put herself in danger like that. He had thought things had calmed down but Joyce had found herself in danger, once again. And deep down, he was once again responsible.

He had taken a seat on a stool, and was now leaning over her. Her breathing was irregular, and the pain could be seen in her tired features. Sweat was beginning to bead on her forehead, but fortunately a doctor arrived before she got a fever.

Hopper was forced to move away until the bullet was removed from the wound. According to the doctor's diagnosis, the wound was not too deep, and in the end, it would be easier to heal it on the spot. The Chief took the opportunity to say a few words to Huston, whose bleeding seemed to be slowing down. The latter detailed to him the redirection of their plan to cut the cameras, or at least destroy the surveillance screens.

"The last of the Russians have just been captured." Huston said.

"Good job, I'll have a word with your superior."

"At least if he agrees to listen to me," the Chief muttered to himself. Then he continued aloud.

"Thank you for looking out for Mrs. By... for Joyce."

"You're welcome, I must admit I wasn't reassured when she told me she'd only been here a week."

"How did she do, apart from... her injury."

"I must admit, she surprised me. She's pragmatic and she knows how to keep a cool head... She's the one who remembered the building's plan to turn off the cameras."

Hopper welcomed these remarks with a rush of pride. But that did nothing to ease his remorse. Joyce seemed to have been helpful in the operation but... no, she couldn't keep walking a tightrope.

"Chief!"

It was the doctor who called him, and Hopper rushed over to him, grimacing at the sight of the wound that had been uncovered to extract the bullet.

"Were you successful? Hopper asked, out of breath

The doctor replied while disinfecting his instruments.

"Everything went smoothly, but she's going to need a few stitches.", he said, pointing at Joyce with the tip of his head. She's quite a warrior woman! If there were only women like her, men would seriously have to start giving up their place in the police ranks."

Hopper could have sworn he saw a tiny smile on Joyce's face.

"Can I stay now?" He asked.

"If you think your eyes can bear it..." the doctor sighed.

Hopper moved the stool so that he was sitting right behind Joyce's face, so he could hold both of her hands.

"Are you there?" she asked in a whisper.