Chapter 39: Into The Darkness, Part 1

Skye hummed to herself as she and the others trekked through the damp, dark Underground Path. Ero, Vince, Max and Daryon were at the front, Daryon's Charmander using its tail light to guide the way. Max, Vince and Daryon listened with awe as Ero told them tales of the many amazing sights in his home region of Galar.

Cameron, meanwhile, trailed in the back, Beedrill buzzing beside him as he quietly followed. He seemed different. While he didn't seem to be as gloomy and scared as he had been over the past few days, he did project an air of uneasiness, as though he were still terrified of something, but he was doing his best not to show it.

Skye stopped walking, waiting for Cameron and Beedrill to catch up.

"Hey," Skye said.

"Hello," Cameron replied, as the two continued walking.

"I'm just wondering how you're doing. You seem to be feeling a lot better than you were back in Cerulean, but I'm still worried about you."

"Please don't be worried," Cameron smiled. "I have a tendency to get really focused on something, and when I get that way, I sometimes snap at people. It's something I need to work on."

"So that's what this is about?" Skye asked. "You're like this because of the Gym challenge?"

"Yes, basically," Cameron replied.

"Okay then, I'll take your word for it," Skye said, not believing a word he said.

"Why wouldn't you?" Cameron asked, irritated, clearly sensing Skye's skepticism.

Skye placed her hand on Cameron's shoulder. Cameron stopped walking. The two looked at each other in the darkness of the Underground Path, lit only by the dim lights scattered sporadically above them, and Daryon's Charmander a few yards up ahead.

"I'm your friend," Skye said, smiling. "I'm here if you need to talk."

Cameron blushed, taken by surprise at Skye's touch.

The two continued to look at each other as the rest of the group moved further ahead, unaware of the interaction taking place. Skye looked at Cameron with an expression of both concern and empathy. Cameron looked back at her with a deep internal struggle, scared to talk about what he experienced, but tired of keeping it to himself.

"Mewtwo," Cameron whispered.

"What?" Skye asked, not hearing him.

"MEWTWO!" Cameron screamed, pulling back as flashbacks of Cerulean Cave flooded his memory.

Cameron's scream caught the attention of Daryon, Max, and Ero, who quickly ran back to the two, not knowing what was going on.

"What is it-" Daryon began to ask.

"It's Mewtwo!" Cameron cried out, clutching his head between his hands as he leaned back against one of the Underground Path's walls. "That thing I saw in Cerulean Cave, I keep remembering it, over and over and over again. It spoke in my head, and something about it just makes me feel nothing but crippling, mind-numbing terror! No matter what I do, I can't get Mewtwo out of my head!"

"Why didn't you tell me?" Daryon asked, feeling pain in his chest. He didn't like it that his friend was hurting so much.

"You were so busy," Cameron said, whimpering, sliding down onto his rear. "All you could think about was battling Misty, and I didn't want to distract you. You worked so hard preparing for her, I wouldn't know how I would feel if you lost because you were thinking of me!"

"Are you kidding?" Daryon plopped down next to him, putting his arm over Cameron's shoulder. "Cam, you're my best friend. I'd do anything to make sure you were okay."

"That's my point," Cameron replied. "You would do anything. Even sabotage your chance at the Pokémon League."

Skye, who had been watching the whole scenario unfold with sadness and worry, felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around, looking up at Ero.

"Why don't we give them some time to talk?" Ero said. "Besides, I want your help with something."

"Okay," Skye nodded. She took one more glance at Cameron and Daryon, who were having a much-needed conversation, while Beedrill lay down, head in Cameron's lap.