1. Today's The Day!

A blazing ball of yarn rose in the sky, shedding its light on the mismatched letters of the Uglyville Sign.

In the distance, Peggy's voice could be faintly heard echoing around the cliff face. "Ugly-doodle-doo!"

Uglydog's eye sprung open. Grinning, he leapt to his feet. "GOOD MORNING, UGLYVIIIIIIILE!" He shouted as loud as he could, taking off through the streets of the town. As he ran by, the city began to come to life. Dolls of every shape, size and color could bee seen throwing their shutters open wide, businesses flipped their signs from closed to open, the occasional doll called out a return greeting to their doglike friend.

"Ugly morning, Uglydog!" Peggy greeted as Uglydog passed beneath him. "Whoo-hoo! I'm aerodynamically impossible!" The pegacorn cheered as he swooped away.

--

Dawn just barely lit the skies above the Institute of Perfection. The sound of an air horn sounded high above the rows of identical houses. One by one, lights flickered on in the dwellings as the dolls inside shook themselves awake.

--

Sunlight streamed in shafts through the two-way glass into a large bedroom. It shone onto a California-king sized bed, where a lump buried itself further under the covers to avoid it.

An exposition robot burst through the door.

"It's morning, sir!" The robot announced. It wheeled up to the lump and sounded an airhorn next to it, then promptly made its exit.

Lou bolted upright in bed. He was wearing a black satin eye mask, his hair was a bit disheveled. Pushing the mask to his forehead, he threw off the covers and leapt out of bed. Clad in a blue silk pyjama shirt-and-shorts combo, he ran, barefoot, through one doorless entryway to his attached bathroom and out the other. When he emerged, he'd reverted to his suit-clad, flawless appearance. He flashed a grin at a full-length mirror and disappeared down the the stairs to start his day.

 He flashed a grin at a full-length mirror and disappeared down the the stairs to start his day

--

Across town, Moxy sat up in her bed, flipping through her notebook at drawings she'd done in the past. All of them were of herself, doing fun things with a human girl, like sunbathing at the beach, or jumping into a pile of fall leaves. Moxy smiled, and tracing the mystery girl's face with her hand, she softly began to sing:

"There's a child for every doll

And a doll for every child

They sometimes find each other

When destiny has smiled.

Who knows just how they're chosen?

The stories seldom say.

It could happen any moment,

And today... Could... Be...

The... Day!"